Unanswered: Maximum size for a database in sql 2005 CLUSTER

Hi all,

I know SQL 2005 allows up to the following size maximum for a database size, do you know or know if this is true for clustered environment as well? If not, do you know of a KB that gives the information for SQL server in a clustered environment?

Database size (32 bit) 524,258 terabytes (64 Bit) 524,258 terabytes

Thank you,

Provided Answers: 6
    do you have half a million TBs? I do not even want to know what for. I am very scared.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quite frankly no and I SURE WISH HOPE NOT!!! however since management asked about limitation in cluster environment, I wanted to give them a definite answer even though usually organizations run into more HW space for large dbs than SQL size limitation,
    thank you anyway,

theoretical and technical limitations of the product itself aside, the rule of thumb we follow is that the maximum size DB is the biggest DB you can restore from a backup within a reasonable amount of time. And of course, that "reasonable amount of time" is defined by your management (or the business) on how long they want that DB to be unavailable while you restore.

Sure, a 20 TB database is cool and all, but I'd hate to be the guy on the 3 week long shift waiting for that thing to restore because some developer accidentally truncated the wrong table.

Provided Answers: 54
    I've never seen a database over about 500 Gb or so that didn't use filegroups to make restore opeartions livable. I wouldn't even want to consider a 10 Tb recovery in one swell foop.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Re: Maximum size for database in sql 2005 cluster

Thinking about SAN, this is a best solution for performance, backup and allow to using almost unlimited storage.

Thank you all for the helping information, yes that is a SAN environment and jeebustrain and Pat you are both correct, I don't want to see big databases as I am already dealing not only with restore issues over big databases, but also space constraints.