Unanswered: Access table format - Sports/Sectional Time

this is probably a simple question, having trouble finding an answer possibly because I am not using(don't know) correct term to find my answer.

Simply when creating a table entry for time I am using nn:ss:"00". However I want to ensure that in later queries Access can use this format properly. I am using the time as a sports sectional time field eg how long a particular lap or race or event took.

Besides the format (nn:ss:"00") is there a protocol to use to lock this form of time measurement in place so that times could be analyzed later for smilarity or differenc between times?

Thanks

How are you storing this data? Is it a Single type, String type?
    Me.Geek = True

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr
    How are you storing this data? Is it a Single type, String type?
    I was using Long integer. If you feel there advantages to doing something different I am looking for ideas
    Last edited by flebber; 09-13-09 at 18:07.

So are you just storing the total number of seconds, and splitting it into minutes and remaining seconds on format? What's with the ":00" in the format string? What are those digits supposed to represent?

What you store it as has a lot to do with what you intend to do with it, how accurately you need to store it, and possibly a whole host of other things that's up to the database designer (i.e. you) to determine. We'll help you out as best we can though.
    Me.Geek = True

The format was intended to be minutes-seconds-hundreths of seconds. Times will included total overall time ie race time and then there will be a seperate table for sectionals/lap time.

As the stats by the governing body are reported in total times that is
    for example where lap = 1000metres

lap time = 01:10:20
    750m = 00:58:20
    500m = 00:36:30
    250m = 00:18:40

to find individual section times that is how long it took per section I must do the minusing myself and store these values.

So that first section = total lap time - 750m(time)

and half laps or any other time sequence worked out similar to above. This is needed to later back query for trends etc across tracks sections results dates and so on.

I am trying to explain this clearly if I am not please let me know. I appreciate your help.

I'd recommend just creating some public functions; store the times as you wish, and then call the function from the query. You should be able to use this same strategy again and again to return consistent results. Cheers!
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 2
    You're going to have a very hard time getting Access to store decimal fractions in a Long Integer field. Your best bet would be to change it to Decimal, to avoid binary rounding errors.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Unless you're storing the total number of hundreths of a second, hence why I was asking about how he chooses to store it.
    Me.Geek = True