Unhappy Unanswered: Oracle Database XE Question

Anyone know a good book that would be helpful with helping me get accustomed to Oracle Database XE?
    I've been spontaneously put in charge of a new project and I've very little database experience. I am VERY slowly muddling through the Oracle-supplied PDF manuals and it's a real headache for me.

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe even a comparable (free) program that is less complicated to design?

Provided Answers: 4
    Did you join the Apex forum community? Check those lovely icons on the Oracle Technology Network? Tried Oracle by Examples?

A comparable, less complicated program? MS Access? Not free, but - perhaps you already have a licensed copy of MS Office.

A comparable, less complicated program? MS Access?
    *shivers* Fully half of everything that is wrong with the World today is directly attributable to MS Access and Filemaker. The AIDS epidemic, foreign oil dependency, global warming, striped knee high tube socks... you name it. Only Bilderberg and Council on Foreign Relations are responsible for more corruption and loss of data.
    Last edited by artacus72; 09-15-09 at 11:22.

Lightbulb !

Quote Originally Posted by artacus72
    *shivers* Fully half of everything that is wrong with the World today is directly attributable to MS Access and Filemaker. The AIDS epidemic, foreign oil dependency, global warming, striped knee high tube socks... you name it. Only Bilderberg and Council on Foreign Relations are responsible for more corruption and loss of data.
    LoL!

Okay, so, I'm guessing that beyond MS Access, the "next step" would be Oracle XE or MySQL? Is that the case?

What about this Ruby thing I've heard of? Is it worth looking into at all?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >What about this Ruby thing I've heard of?
    RUBY is as viable as PERL, PHP, JAVA, etc.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Sorry, I've just seen time and again where a business has a need that is more complicated than Excel, so the business power user decides to fire up Access. They don't really know what they are doing or understand how databases work. But that doesn't matter because there are wizards to guide you thru everything. They put it up on a network share and everything goes alright, until it doesn't. Someone deletes the file from the disk, or deletes the wrong records, or Access just decides one day that the database is corrupt. Then they discover that they have no backup because there wasn't a wizard for that and all is lost.

There's nothing (well not much) wrong with Access or Filemaker per se. The problem is that users get in over their heads, don't understand what they are doing and end up doing more harm than good. If you use Access, take time to read a book about it first.

I'd say MySQL would be somewhere in between Access and Oracle XE. But the database is only half the battle, you still have program some sort of interface to it. Be it in Ruby, Java or PHP...