World class canadian financial institution seeks star Sybase DBA
Job location: Toronto, Canada
NOTE: Local candidates only please!
Under the supervision of the Senior Manager Database Administration, manage and provide support for the banks Sybase databases. As a member of the database administration group, the incumbent will assist in the team effort to maximize the availability, security, and performance of the databases.
Key accountabilities for this role:
* Configuration planning and installation of Sybase servers;
* Performance and general health / capacity monitoring;
* Tuning and load balancing of servers;
* Do routine maintenance including database rebuilds/re-indexing/expansion and archiving;
* Trouble shoot Sybase server problems, and assist in the resolution of application problems;
* Server upgrades and conversions;
* Assist in promotions, data conversions;
* Backup and recovery of local and remote replicated databases;
* Provide beeper support to production systems as assigned; involves week end and after hours support on a rotating basis’
* Provide DBA support to development/implementation projects as assigned, doing installations, database loading, conversions, testing etc.;
* Prepare change control documentation ;
* Maintain the Sybase monitoring systems;
* Install/configure Sybase auditing.
* Sound practical knowledge of the following:
o Sun Solaris operating system and utilities;
o Bourne or Korn shell script writing;
o Sybase 12.5.x & 15.x (device configuration, installation, stored procedures and sql script writing, BCP, Warm Standby Replication, database re-build / de-fragment techniques, logical & physical backup / recovery techniques. Application side tuning vs. server side tuning);
o Perl script ;
o Replication Server v12.x & 15.x.
o Use of raid, disk stripping, shared memory etc;
* Experience with Sybase HA and Veritas Cluster;
* Minimum 5 years of practical DBA experience;
* Good analytical, problem solving and trouble shooting skills;
* Quick learner, with good interpersonal and communication skills.
EDUCATION AND ACCREDITATIONS:
* Post secondary education in computer science, math, or related discipline;
* Sybase certification in "professional DBA" category preferred.
* The incumbent will be required to carry a pager and be on call for after hours support
* The incumbent must be prepared to do shift work as well as provide remote dial in support, or occassionally on-site support in response to routine monitering alerts and schedulled & unschedulled maintenance tasks occuring after hours and on week ends.
Please only fully qualified and interested candidates submit an updated copy of your resume for immediate consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation is excellent but will be based on experience!