Unanswered: Cannot create new user in Sql Server Express

Hi folks,

I've been trying to add a user account to my SQL Server 2008 Express DB that I can use for remote connections, but when I create a new account in Management Studio and give it serveradmin and sysadmin privileges, I can't even access it from the local machine. I put in the username and password at the Connect to Server prompt and it tells me "Login failed for user 'username'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)". Does anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong. I really just want to have the my database stored on one computer, and connect to remotely from other computers for development purposes. Thanks.
    Paul Palubinski

Provided Answers: 11
    Most common cause is that you have created a SQL Authenticated login, and the SQL Server is configured to only accept Windows Authenticated logins.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Most common cause is that you have created a SQL Authenticated login, and the SQL Server is configured to only accept Windows Authenticated logins.
    That is exactly what the issue was! I just found out 15 minutes ago by following a link in the error dialog to the Microsoft documentation. For anyone else with the same issue, you just have to right-click on the DB server in the Management Studio object explorer, go to security and then chose the authentication mode that allows both Windows and SQL Server authentication. Thanks for your help, MCrowley!
    Paul Palubinski

Hi,ppalubinski,

Suggest you check your server's error log,where a corresponding entry will be written. An example of an entry is:

2006-02-27 00:02:00.34 Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.

2006-02-27 00:02:00.34 Logon Login failed for user '<user name>'. [CLIENT: <ip address>]

The key to the message is the 'State' which the server will accurately set to reflect the source of the problem.

Good Luck.

In addition to setting the authentication to both, you'll have to restart your SQL Server service. That can be done in the SQL server configuration tool, or achieved by restarting the SQL server host.