Unanswered: Access registry Unique Computer ID

Hi again.
    I am trying to figure out a way to lock my access database to specific machines.
    Every machine has a unique identifier as far as i know. I would like to incorporate that into my database but the problem is, Where do you find it?

I can already make access talk to the registry so if there is a specific registry key that holds the computers unique ID, does anyone know where it is?

Sounds a bit dramatic but as long as i can get that ID I should be able to work it into my database as a second security measure.

Cheers

EDIT: at the moment, my only option is the productID but since my database is going into a corporate environment, i am assuming that the productID will be the same on multiple machines because of corporate licences.
    Last edited by niak32; 09-18-09 at 01:38.

Provided Answers: 14
    You could retrieve the MAC address of the machine or the ID of its CPU. See the attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Have a nice day!

In this example: http://www.dbforums.com/6274790-post20.html

(to get the user loginID),

Just change the code for getting the UserName to instead get the ComputerName.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Found this little bit of code for getting the serial number of the primary hard drive.

I did stuff around with the Product ID adding this to that, taking the number apart etc etc too much effort

Don't think that many hard drives share the same serial number.
    Computer will have the same hard drive serial number after a format and unless someone does something really tricky, this will work for me.

@Sinndho cheers for that, mac address would be great. Bit too much code for my liking.

@pkstormy thanks. I will have a look but i was looking for numbers for calculations (not that I did any of course in the end)

code below, Would love to credit the author but stuffed if i know where i got it from.

Code:
    Private Sub Secure()
    Dim key1 As String

Dim oFSO As Object
        Dim drive As Object

Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        Set drive = oFSO.GetDrive("C:\")
        key1 = drive.SerialNumber

Set oFSO = Nothing
        Set drive = Nothing
        'release memory

Select Case key1
        Case 1481259670
        'Niak32 Main Support machine 1481259670
        Me.lblMachine.Caption = "Niak32 Main Support Machine"
        Case Else
        MsgBox ("      Computer not Registered." & vbCrLf & "Please contact support and Quote " & vbCrLf & "               " & key1)
        Me.lblMachine.Caption = "Unknown Machine Please contact Support"
     '   DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_Main", acSaveNo
     Application.Quit acQuitSaveAll
        Exit Sub
        End Select
    End Sub

If you look at the "SystemInfo" Class module in the example of the link I supplied, there's a LOT of OTHER information you can get including the information you found or seek.

(for example, Boot Method, Network Present, ISRemoteSession, Slow Machine, ScreenSaverActive, TempPath, WindowsDirectory, Winver, ProcessorType, OSType, ServicePack, ProductType, etc...etc...)

Again, Look at the SystemInfo Class module and all the info you can return. It's from a very reliable source (ie. from the MSAccess Developers handbook by Sybex)!

The FormInfo class module also returns a wealth of imformation form related.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-20-09 at 07:54.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Very cool, This looks great. Cheers