Unanswered: License information

Hi All,

I heard that sybase charges its customers based on three different licenses

1) User based
    2) CPU based
    3) Node based

How do i know which license mechanism my Sybase ASE is using?
    I have cheked in $SYBASE/15.0.2/SYSAM-2_0/licenses/*.lic files, but could not understand the format.
    Also, executed sp_lminfo, but could not get any info, as this sp is not listed in sybsystemprocs db.

How many licenses can i have for a product (eg : Sybase ASE 15.0.3)

How many licenses can i generate & how do i generate license for a product (eg : Sybase ASE 15.0.3)

How many times can i download a licensed software for a given product?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I am new to Sybase.

I heard that sybase charges its customers based on three different licenses
    1) User based
    2) CPU based
    3) Node based
    Those are Licence Types. Actually, there are more (but I do not think it matters here.)

How do i know which license mechanism my Sybase ASE is using?
    There are two "mechanisms":
    Served Licences: you need a SySAM Licence Server, all licence files located in one place.
    Unserved Licences: you do not need a SySAM Licence Server, each licence file is localted in the local .../SYSAM-2_0/licenses directory
    You are apparently using Unserved licences, but you need to know that the other option exists, it is important if you have more than ASE.

I have cheked in $SYBASE/15.0.2/SYSAM-2_0/licenses/*.lic files, but could not understand the format.
    1 Each licence file is a separate licence. You need at least one PACKAGE, and any number of INCREMENTs.

2 The first line:
    #Sybase Software Asset Management License File. CP License for ASE Enterprise

and these two lines, identify the Licence Type and limits:
    INCREMENT ASE_EE SYBASE 2008.05080 permanent uncounted \
    VENDOR_STRING=SORT=200;PE=EE;LT=CP HOSTID=123456789012 \

The LT is Licence Type: CP means CPU licence; DT means Dev & Test, Etc. I cannot remember, but something like US or ST identifies Users or Seats (which a number limiting that)
    permanent or trial (with an expiry date)
    counted refers to US or ST being counted, look for the limit

3 This line:
    PACKAGE ASE_EE SYBASE COMPONENTS=ASE_CORE OPTIONS=SUITE SUPERSEDE \
    Tells SySAM that I have the Enterprise Edition, and this is the "Core" or package licence.

Also, executed sp_lminfo, but could not get any info, as this sp is not listed in sybsystemprocs db.
    Try sp_lmconfig, I get:
    Parameter Name Config Value
    ----------------- ------------
    edition EE
    license type CP
    smtp host smtp
    email recipients sybase@129.25
    email severity NONE
    smtp port 25
    email sender sybase@129.25

License Name Version Quantity Status Expiry Date
    --------------- ---------- -------- ------------ --------------------
    ASE_HA null 0 not used null
    ASE_JAVA null 0 not used null
    ASE_ASM null 0 not used null
    ASE_EFTS null 0 not used null
    ASE_DIRS null 0 not used null
    ASE_XRAY null 0 not used null
    ASE_ENCRYPTION null 0 not used null
    ASE_CORE 2008.05080 1 support graced Permanent
    ASE_PARTITIONS 2009.05080 1 OK Permanent
    ASE_RLAC null 0 not used null
    ASE_MESSAGING_TIBJMS null 0 not used null
    ASE_MESSAGING_IBMMQ null 0 not used null
    ASE_MESSAGING_EASJMS null 0 not used null

Property Name Property Value
    ------------- --------------
    PE EE
    LT CP
    ME null
    MC null
    MS null
    MM null
    CP 1
    AS A

On this machine, I have CORE (1 x CPU), and PARTITIONS.

How many licenses can i have for a product (eg : Sybase ASE 15.0.3)
    There is no limit, really; depending on Un/Served, and licences that expire, you could have many licences, in many locations, or in one location. What counts is, you need to have at least one licence for the Package/Increments that you intend to use.

Most companies have an Asset Register which they use for all software licence compliance purposes, you might want to check that as well.

How many licenses can i generate
    Sybase has a separate Software Product Download Center site. When you purchase a product (Package) or option (Increment), or arrange for a trial, Sybase registers that on their SPDC. The Product/Option is specific to a class of systems (Wintel, Mid-range, etc) which is reflected in the price.
    how do i generate license for a product (eg : Sybase ASE 15.0.3)
    Log in to the SPDC, choose the Product/Option you want (from the list of purchased items), enter your system details, and hit the Generate button.

How many times can i download a licensed software for a given product?
    There is no limit to software downloads; there is a limit for licence Generation. Sybase is not stupid, SPDC tracks everything. Eg. If you have purchased a CPU licence for a mid-range system, you can Generate a licence for one machine only. If you change your machine, you have to make arrangements to allow Generation of a second licence. Wintel boxes get replaced frequently, so there is more leeway to Generate a second and subsequent licence for such boxes.

You can also download software, and more importantly, software Updates (EBFs or ESDs), from the EBF site, as many times as you need. But you need that single generated licence to run it.

Finally, whenever you purchase a new product, it will run for 30 days without a license. This is called the Grace Period, and you will get error msgs in the errorlog informing you that the Grace period is about to end. You are supposed to Generate a valid licence in that 30 days, and test that it works. The first few lines in the errorlog (after boot) tell you exactly what licence (or not) ASE has booted with.
    Regards
    Derek Asirvadem (Formerly DerekA)
    Information Architect / Senior Sybase DBA
    Copyright 2009 Software Gems Pty Ltd

I answer questions from the Original Poster only. If you have a genuine question, as the moderators have requested, start a new thread.

http://www.softwaregems.com.au