Unanswered: Paradox 10 - Help with tables

Hello. Not being an expert in Paradox or programming, I'm going to try explaining what I'm trying to accomplish and hopefully someone can assist me.

My company (Real Estate) uses Paradox 10. Basically, we have several tables set up, including one named "requests.db" and another named "appraiser.db." We have a form named "requests.fsl" where all new orders are entered on a daily basis (see link #1 below). Requests.fsl and requests.db are linked, obviously.

Now when we go to select an appraiser (see link #2 below), the dropdown menu shows all of the records in the appraiser.db table, which currently consists of 750 records. Each record includes the contact information for every appraiser, along with the state and county they cover. I'm hoping to limit the selections in the dropdown menu so that the appraisers available are only those that cover the state/county I entered in requests. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Link #1 - http://www.uresinc.com/Private/Data/paradox1.jpg

Link #2 - http://www.uresinc.com/Private/Data/paradox2.jpg

without seeing your code and your OPAL knowledge, if any, there's no way to give you a specific answer, but I quickly can think of two ways to do this..

1) on the lookup to the appraisers, use SetGenFilter() after the other fields are filled in, to limit the values, or..

2) query out the appropriate records, after the fill-in, and use that as the lookup..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Thank you for the reply. I'm just now (2 months later) trying to figure out how to make this work. I ran through the ObjectPAL tutorial and now have a much better understanding of the language, but I'm still having a tough time achieving my goal.

I guess what I'm looking for is the exact code I need. Again, I have a table named Requests and a table named Appraiser. Both tables have fields named State. I want to run a method that uses the values of State in Requests and then limits the results to only the records in Appraiser that have the same State value.

For example, if I have a record in Requests located in the state of PA, I only want to be able to select from the list of records in Appraiser that are located in PA. Right now, we have a lookup table that points to Appraiser and shows the entire list. Hopefully that makes sense.

Again, any help is appreciated!

I guess what I'm looking for is the exact code I need.

I no longer use Paradox on a daily basis, and don't even have it loaded on my Vista laptop yet.. if you want code help, you should go to the paradox community forums, where most of the regular users and developers hang out.. Home - Paradox Community
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Steve, thanks again for the response. I'll post the situation on the link you suggested (I see your name over there also). Thanks again.

Paradox

If you have not resolved your issue or received the support you are looking for, I am an expert level developer of Paradox and ObjectPal. I will be happy to assist you. EMail me directly (john.chambers121 at gmail) with contact info and I will provide the assistance you require. Thank you. John

john.. welcome to the forum.. you have made two very generous offers, but you need to know that they're really contrary to the general purpose of the various public support forums.. as the name implies, these forums are for PUBLIC support.. for every person that we actively help here, there are often dozens more with the same issues who get their questions answered without even asking, because of this public exchange.. also, no matter how much experience any of us has, it's the "collective wisdom" that drives these forums.. no single helper has all the answers.. we can all use more expert support here, on the prestwood forums, and/or on the paradox community forums..
    --

Oasis Trading Post