Unanswered: Stop Subreport Repeating

Hello, I have checked the forum and if I have missed this one and you have already answered it I am very sorry. I am using crystal XI and Oracle and am trying to create a printable transcript report. I have one view which supplies student information (name, id, address etc) and another view which supplies courses that student has taken and their grade. There is a filter on ID so the report is for 1 student only.

If I combine both views (linked on ID) I get one course per page which is no good. I decided that I would put course details in a subreport grouped by semester (and link it to the main report on ID). The problem is that if the student has taken 5 semesters, I get the subreport repeated 5 times in the main report.

I believe this is to do with the report being in the details section. I added a new page header section and popped the subreport in there. This is fine unless a student has taken many classes in many semesters because the report doesn't fit on the page and I get error

"Page size not large enough to format the contents of an object in the report"

I am out of ideas and would appreciate it if anybody else had any ideas.
    Thanks

Stop Subreport Repeating

Hello Forum,

Have been a bit of an idiot. I tore my report apart and went back to bare bones with one of the views. I have discovered that despite having asked for Distinct Select there are a couple of subtle differences in the tables and I was inadvertently bringing back multiple rows in the main report, and therefore multiple sub reports.

I guess at the very least this might have so value to somebody someday

Same thing

Hi, I am having the same issue and it appears as if I have gone through almost all the same steps. I have placed the subreports in the report footer. Can you please tell me your solution? I would like it to be in the detail section but do not want it to repeat for each record I have (these will vary).

Hello Cindy 6777. I don't know if I can help you because my problem with repeating subreports was to do with my SQL logic. I had created a view for student detail and this was in the main report. I had created a view for grades and registration used in the subreport and the reports were linked through student ID. I had believed that my view for the subreport was bringing back one row, however when I went back to bare bones on the database server I could see that my logic was wrong and I had several lines. I would recommend double checking the logic/syntax for your subreport to ensure that it is not repeating. Other than that maybe using parameters to filter information in the main report. Sorry to not have a magic wand for you, I know how frustrating it can be :-)