Unanswered: I'm new here and need some help about forms :)

Hello friends,i'm new in this forum and i've been studying about databases( i wanted to start with access 2007) for 4 months..I hope we will help eachother here

As i said in the topic i have some questions about forms;

• In the form design mode there is a check box.I use it for;for example i have country name(Turkey,US,England) and a check box in my form and i want my check box on if the name of the country is Turkey.I think check box can be used for this.My first question starts here;i want check box on if the 3rd letter of the country is "r"..How can i do that?

• My second question is;i think the option group and check box are similar.If they are,what is the difference between them?If not,what is option group used for?

• My third question;what is an unbound object frame?What does it mean?What is it used for?

You can ask any question about Access to me,i always want to answer them..By the way i wanna improve english but i can make some mistakes(some wrong words,grammar mistakes..) so i'm sorry for my english

From now on thanks everybody,I appreciate for the all answers..

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your questions...

1. checkbox, I don't really understand this question but you can use the MID function to check for characters in a string. See also the LEFT and RIGHT functions. Wanting to use a checkbox to check if a 3rd letter of a country is "r" though doesn't really make sense unless you want to set a checkbox field to true or false if the 3rd character of another text box value is "r". For this, you would write vba code based upon some event (ie. perhaps AfterUpdate event of the text field or combobox) and use an IF statement (ie. IF MID() then...me!MyCheckboxfield = True else me!MyCheckboxfield = False). You'll need to research how to use the MID() expression as I don't recall the syntax on it.
    2. Option group is used for having a multi-choice selection (ie. multiple items to select from) and stores only 1 value in a field - the corresponding NUMBER of the item (checkbox) selected (ie. it saves to an integer field type where you CAN have a null/blank value.) - other type checkboxes are used for storing a True or False values (-1 or 0) in the specified field for the sourceobject. The sourceobject field type for these checkboxes must be a Yes/No field type and will only ever have a 0 or -1 as a value (it can't be blank!) These fields typically default to No when created in a table.
    3. An unbound object frame is where you design a form, text box, combobox, or any type of object without a recordsource (for a form) or sourceobject (for a field on a form.) You typically utilize unbound forms for your Menu's which only have buttons (unless you're using the switchboard which I'd avoid.) Or if you're designing forms which will populate the field values on the form/to the table via vba code (where all your fields on the form are unbound also.) You typically utilize unbound fields on a form typically for "search" type fields where you want to use a reference to them as criteria for a query/recordsource or again, to utilize with unbound forms and functions to retrieve/write the data to/from the form.

You may want to look at the help on the different kinds of controls you can utilize on a form. You want to make sure you get the right control for what you want to do and what value you want to store. Pay particular attention to the field type for the field designated in the sourceobject and control you're using.

That's the best answers I can give from translating/understanding your grammer.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-26-09 at 02:07.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 59
    hiya and welcome to dbforums
    I think you need to read up stuff about user interfaces
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ux%20guide.pdf

traditionally a check box is used where there are a limited number of choices, any or none can be selected
    a radio button is used when there are a limited number of choices but only one is valid.
    an example
    thinking of somebody selling a new car
    the choice of colour could be a radio button 9as you can only have one colour on the car.
    the choice of accessories (eg alloy wheels, radio, radio cassette, cd, dvd, nav wahteever) could be check boxes. however where an option is mutually exclusive you should use radio buttons.. so you wouldn't use a checkbox if say you could have either a radio, radio casette, cd or dvd but not more than one.

so say in a (male) clothing context
    check box for shoes, socks, underwear
    but a radiobutton for choice of trouser, choice of shirt/jacket, choice of headwear
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the answers very much..I got the 1st and 2nd questions' answers..But I have still some problems about the 3rd question;

When i select unbound object frame,the name of the picture exists in the form.I'm selecting a photo.But then it has a name in the form.The picture is not shown..Why?What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    so say in a (male) clothing context
    check box for shoes, socks, underwear
    but a radiobutton for choice of trouser, choice of shirt/jacket, choice of headwear
    Ok I get the car analogy but what's this one all about? When you get dressed in the morning do you have to choose between trousers, shirt/jacket or headwear? Your work must have a pretty lientant dress code if you can go in in just underwear, socks, shoes and a bowler hat!!

Anyway dbbjk, is the data source of the image pointing to where the image is stored?