Unanswered: inexact error message "Error in SQL syntax"

I have a curious problem with my SQL Server.
    I am developing a web application which uses of course also a database.
    Till today I used German names and descriptions and everthing worked fine. Now I decided to translate all tables, etc. into English and one problem occurs:
    When executing a INSERT statement, which wasn't changed att all, I get the following error:

Script line: 1 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'character
    (1,1,1,'HauDraufWieNix',1,0,1,2,3,4,5,6,'Knecht')' at line 2

Unfortunately the error is not very meaningful, so I want to ask for your help.

Why can changing the names of a table and its attributes lead to such a error?

Could the reason be something with the constraints? This is the only thing I can imagine, that maybe I forgot to translated anything. But I checked it as good as I could and didn't find any obvious mistakes.

Toronto, Canada
    inexact??? on the contrary, it is very exact

the error message tells you exactly where it happened -- near the word "character"

it seems you named your table "character" but that's a reserved word

either rename it again, or put it in backticks --

INSERT INTO `character` VALUES... | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    either rename it again, or put it in backticks --
    Home | Blog

Thanks for the fast help! It was indeed the problem that I did not use the backticks.

However I have still the opinion that "You have an error in your SQL syntax" is not that clear then "duplicated entry" or something like that ;-)