I am not entirely new to the concept of DB's, but have very little experience with them. In fact, the last DB I used was Lotus Approach

I am not looking for anyone to do my work for me, I am just looking for a point in the right direction as to type of DB and software to use.

I am looking to creater a DB for the use of companion planting, and ideally I want to host it online.

For those of you who don't know what companion planting is, see here...

Companion planting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and to give you an idea of what I want to do and what sort of data I will be using, have a look here...

List of companion plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see there are several fields and a fair bit of data. What I would like to be able to do is have a table like that, but also make it searchable for the end user so that they can type in a plant/bug/disease etc... and if it is listed in any of the fields it would retrieve the relevant data.

For example, if the OP searched Vine Weevil, they would get a report back of all plants Associated with Vine Weevil.

I am thinking, because I want it to be available online, it is probably going to be SQL based (Probably MySQL) and am wondering if I would be better off using some form of CMS as my knowledge of xHTML isn't exactly brilliant either.

Kind regards.