Question Unanswered: Using Asp/ Aspx to import a spreadsheet

Hey guys.

I'm in the process of designing a system which is going to rely heavily on information extracted from another source. Within access, this is perfectly within my capabilities but to make the design more efficient I want to bring with it an online data input page.

Currently using an old system, you would create the inital entries on an asp page. This information is then shown on various other pages to act on. What I want to do is modify this first step so that instead of creating one entry at a time, I want to bulk import a range of data.

Each week we'll be extracting information from another source into an excel sheet; it will contain about 20 columns of information and at the moment would contain roughly 200 rows on each extraction... which then adds onto the previous weeks extracts.

Is there any asp coding avaliable that would take the information from an excel spreadsheet and paste this into it's backend database? Even if you don't know how at this point, I'd appreciate anyone telling me it's certainly possible/ definitely not possible or whether I am asking too much of asp.

My work around solution is to simply export this into the back end database but to do so I'd need access to a live server which my company wouldn't really want to do, so I'm looking for an alternative to this.

many thanks,

Christy

In ASP, you can use ADODB.recordset to point to excel files (and sheets and rows within them) by using the appropriate DSN.

That's what I was looking for! Thanks!

Anyone knows how specifically and can give me an example to point to a sheet I'd love to know...

i.e. to point to h:\spreadsheet1.xls and to import a range of datawithin this...

I'll look myself aswell.
    Thank you.

further, if the data is always going to be on the same computer, you should also look at something called as HTA (HTML for applications). It removes the need even for creating the DSN etc.

End