Provided Answers: 4

Unanswered: Migrating from SQL Server 2000 to 2008

We are planning migrating our SQL Server 2000 databases to one integrated database on 2008. On the SQL Server 2005 runs only one MS Dynamics application that we will leave as it is for the time being.

My colleges think it would be better to migrate first to SQL 2005 and in a second step to migrate further to 2008. What are the pros and cons for this migration path? I couldn't find anything backing this on my Google searches, except from the period when 2008 was in beta release.

The 2000 database has a few hundred DTSes. What is the best way to migrate these? We were thinking of converting them unaltered to DTSX in 2005 and later to 2008 (if it's best to migrate in 2 steps). And only start converting them to SSIS once the whole database is converted to 2008. Does this make sense?

About timing. How much time would it take to convert a DTS(X) to SSIS? We have DTSes that have 5 steps and others with 50 steps. I know it is hard to put a number on it, but will it take on average a minute, an hour, a day, a week, ... per DTS ?
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

I went to 2005 and still have them as DTS jobs (about 150), I see SSIS as nothing but a bother. Why can't I do everything I need to do in one interface, instead of 2-3 ? It sucks, and I am in protest. I don't see improvements as adding another 10 layers to the onion. I am just thinking of converting everything to BCP/openrowset/opendataset and stored procs (go back to the old days).

Provided Answers: 6
    concur. ssis is still a stinker. the other day, we switched the DB compatibility level of a DEV to SQL 2K from 2K8 and I went to open a package I had been working with and all I got was a red circle with an x in it in the Designer. Just because the DB connection was borked you were left with nothing to fix.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 4
    Keeping the DTSXes? Appealing thought.
    Though the 2000 DTS editor has its quirks, I don't seem to find my way in the 2005 DTSX editor (luckily, there is only one in 2005. Perhaps lack of exercise plays its role too). Is this also how things will be in 2008?
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

bcp (E&L), T-SQL (T)

Who gets paid to come up with these BS acronyms for Sheet that we've been doing forever

Don't get me started on Warehouses
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.