Unanswered: MS Access 2003 Out Of Memory

Hello, I have been asked to support an application which uses MS Access as it's front end and Oracle 9i at the back. I know virtually nothing about MS Access! I have 5 PCs which run this application and 2 which do not, when you click the icon to launch the application you get an Out Of Memory error.

The original developers have moved on and are not interested so I am trying to figure this one out. The two PCs which do not run the application have 1gb and 2gb of Ram, all PCs have the same version of the MS Jet database. I have tried copying the MDBs from working PCs to the non working ones and the situation hasn't improved. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Looks like this may pertain to your problem.

"Out of memory" error starting Microsoft Access

I would first check which version of Jet your are running. How much RAM is in the machines that the db is working on?

Sam, hth
    Good, fast, cheap...Pick 2.

MS Access Out of memory

Hello Sam, thanks for having a think for me. I had already checked out this link which is why I checked the jet version on the PCs and they are all using 4.0.9511.0 and the link was to do with Access 97 and we are using 2003. Of the working PCs one has 1GB and the others have 512MB.

I wish we could just buy a new system :-)

Might this help?

Else, how big is your mdb/mde file?
    Me.Geek = True

MS Access Out of memory

Hello nckdyr, again thank you for coming to my aid.

I did see this link but I get the out of memory error when no other applications are running. Have swept it through a couple of times to ensure that this wasn't to do with a virus and as far as I can tell they are fine (well as good as the others anyway). I might try the workaround anyway.

The application is a collection of MDB files and they are between 2 - 26 MB. None of them work on the bad PCs.

Task Manager is a great tool for monitoring the memory of Access when your mdb file is open.

I will often open Task Manager and watch the Access process to see how the mdb grows while it's being used. Usually the range is between 10 megs to 50 megs for typical applications. If it's starts to grow above 60 megs, I then start looking at the vba code and form design to see where a recordset might not be closing in a form or the form is designed inefficiently.

Using Task Manager, you can then see at which point (ie. when a specific form opens or routine is supposed to run) to watch the memory jump. The Access process memory should 'stabilize' at some point. If it continues to grow and grow and grow, you can expect problems.

Note though that this is different than the 'size' of the mdb file itself. You can also utilize the cloning vb script in the code bank if you want to make it so everyone is in their own front-end which prevents some of the memory issues and other errors from multi-users in the same mdb file.

It's also good to compile a (frontend) mdb into an mde for the users as a compiled mde works more efficiently.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 10-02-09 at 22:50.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks PKStormy, I had a look at the task manager on one of the bad PCs and the funny thing is that I get the Out of Memory error before msaccess.exe appears in the process window.

They are definitely using their own front ends.

I was just wondering whether I should downgrade those users to MSAccess 2000 as they don't use access for anything else. The application was written about 6/7 years ago I believe and I understand that out of memory is a problem in 2003 for PCs with large amounts of RAM.