I am assigned (at work) to create a Sharepoint site. In doing so, I first need to install SQL, which I know nothing about. I'm runing Windows Server 2008 (which I know little about), installed SQL Server 2005. I read that I had to update to SQL SP2. When I tried doing this, I get the following error message when it tries to connect to my server.

Sidenote:when installing SQL I had created an administrator's account (spsetup) to be used in SQL. This is the account that it checks to logon and start the process(I think).

Using Windows Authentication
There is no remote host...everything is installed on this one host.

Cannot connect to Local Host.
A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0- An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL server, Error: 10054).

What I've tried.
I looked up the error - but it was not found.
I reset the password for the spsetup account I had created. Didn't work.
I changed the account used to the Local Service (with no password). Same error.
Out of desparation, I uninstalled everything and reinstalled.

Fortuneatly, this server will only be used as our SharePoint server - its not in production at this time.

I have found this error message all over the net...but as yet, can not find an answer to fixes my problem.

I dont know if its an installation issue or what...

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

ps:in my own defence...I was to design the sharepoint site, not administer it. Then the person who was to be the administer left...leaving me w/all the jobs...that's why I know little about the above....