Unanswered: Sybase 12.5 performance problem ?

I've a problem with my Sybase (ASE 12.5). When executing some jobs like dumping the DB, dumping transaction logs and clearing some history tables it starts responding very slowly.

How can I check quickly how this DB can be tuned (I suspect it just works using default config or just slightly modified). The idea is to check both : the HW/OS (sar, iostat,vmstat, etc ... ) and DB.
    I'm not experienced Sybase admin, and what I've already found is "sp_sysmon". I'm going to run it twice (in normal conditions and under bigger load - mentioned above) and compare the results.

Do you think such results from "sp_sysmon" will show where is the problem?
    Maybe someone can suggest better way to find the what causes the DB responding slowly?

Is there a kind of "algorithm" that should be followed if one wants to improve DB performance?

What are the typical causes of poor Sybase DB performace?

Thanks in advance and Regards,

check the below things

1)check the shared memory utilization.
    2) Check the RUN Server file of Backup server.
    3) Check that there is any new configuration/application at the OS level..which is having high CPU and I/O activities.
    4) Check there is any configuration at OS level.

Best Regards,
    Sybase DBA-Consultant

Hi ,
    As u told "(I suspect it just works using default config or just slightly modified)" , so u can check with sysmon cache utilisation particularly cache misses fr high value .with which u can conclude tht u are nt having enough cache fr processing.