Unanswered: DBNavigator problem in delplhi

i have a DBGrid on my form with a navigator...how come the insert,delete,modify etc buttons are greyed out...i can ONLY up,down,first and last?????

thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    Your grid must contain all of the columns of either a PK (Primary Key) or a Unique index. They don't all need to be displayed, just retrieved. Otherwise, the grid doesn't have any way to safely submit your changes.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

it does contain all of the fields...

About 98 percent of the time, a first time user either doesn't declare either a unique index or a primary key within the database and have every column in that index or key in their grid. There are other ways to disable the updatability, but no key is by far the most common.

You haven't given enough information for me to figure out what else you could be missing. Without seeing your code, I'm not much help now.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

its not so much the coding..its the 2010 IDE that i am struggeling to understand and grasp...it is so different from VS!
    there is not enough/detailed tutorials or videos that can help with the data aware aspect/components of the 2010 IDE..

but thanks anyway...

Check the registration confirmation email for a link to the forums. I believe that the production confirmation email has the link at the lower left, but I can't personally confirm that. There is a lot of information, and many folks that will gladly help you in the registered user forums.

-PatP