Unanswered: Trouble making a form Option Explicit with Cancel = True

HI. I just found ms access's performance analyser and ran it. IT complained for all my forms that I hadnt set option explicit as an option at the top.

so I did.

but now some forms won't compile. This is where I've used "Cancel = True" in a procedure behind a button's; click event.

for example@
    Code:
    Private Sub CancelAndClose_Click()
       On Error GoTo CancelAndClose_Click_Error

Cancel = True
        DoCmd.Close

On Error GoTo 0
       Exit Sub

CancelAndClose_Click_Error:
    Call ErrorLog(Err.Description, Err.Number, Me.Name)

'MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure CancelAndClose_Click of VBA Document Form_Landlord Details"
    End Sub
    If I put "Cancel As Boolean" in teh procedure's brackets, it says "Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name".

How can I get round this? or is option explicit nto really nevessary?

Basically, using Option Explicit is very good practice. It will cause some code to stop compiling and it will also expose bugs, as per here.

The Cancel = True was doing nothing in your original code. Some event procedures have a ByRef parameter of Cancel. You can therefore cancel the handler by using Cancel = True. However, not all events have this parameter. This is one of them.

Remove the "Cancel = True" bit - I bet your code works exactly as it did before, yes?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

THe problem I was having was that users were filling out half the form, and then closing it. THis caused errors if they didn't fill in a required field.

So I craeted a "cancel and close" button. This undoes all the changes on the form, adn then closes it, so access won't try and insert a new record with missing information.

I can replace it with docmd.Undo, and that works, but is it exactly the same as cancel = true?
    Last edited by rudeboymcc; 10-15-09 at 13:05.

Provided Answers: 19
    No it isn't! Cancel = True means that the event is canceled! Some events cannot be canceled, OnClick being one of them! How could you cancel a click? And why would you want to, in this case? You don't want to Cancel dumping the data and closing the form, do you? That's what the event is intended to do!

DoCmd.Undo is the way to go here!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

ah! you've just explained a lot of my "bugs" :-(

Ok here;s another question. Say I have edited a record, and have changed it so that it is now invalid (I.e. a required field is blank). I click close without saving it first, and when closing hte beforeupdate event wll be called as the form is dirty.

In the beforeupdate() event, i check the fields, and if one is null, I call Cancel = True (to stop the record from updating).

would this also cancel the close event? or just the update event?