What are the hardware and software factors for query delay?

Hello,

I have few questions that I hope I can find answers for over here:

- What are the hardware and software factors for query delay (from request moment till end of execution)? In other words, could you list down all the reasons of the delay that happens when a query is executed (whether it is SQL or Oracle, or any other type of databases). Please list all the factors here, with an estimated time delay (or % of the total time delay) that they contribute with towards the query delay (eg. Data transfer delay from storage media: 20%, CPU processing: 40%, etc...)

- Is it the data storage delay that matters more for huge databases and companies with large amounts of queries? or the CPU processing delay? (considering huge databases with large amounts of queries per second)

- Would it be useful if the database server software structure is made in a way that requires lower CPU cycles? Or would that not really matter compared to other factors of delay of query?

- Can you provide samples of best hardware (not software such as MS SQL) database servers that are powerful and fast?

Thanks!

Why on earth would we want to do your homework?

Who on earth said it is a homework?

You can answer it if you know the answer, it is not urgent. And if it is a homework, do you think I would post it here to get Academic Misconduct to get kicked out from university? You should know by now that universities have smart systems to crawl the web for such things, at least there is one in mine

If you know the answer, I would appreciate it if you can help, otherwise if you don't please don't try to make the post seem as a homework post.

Quote Originally Posted by raladin
    If you know the answer, I would appreciate it if you can help, otherwise if you don't please don't try to make the post seem as a homework post.
    I certainly didn't make the post seem like homework - it was you who wrote it. Would you mind telling us what it is for then? I'm finding it difficult picturing a business case for knowing such things. Of course I also did a quick search for any posts by you on other forums and came across this one which asking for help on another homework assignment: URGENT: Complex Numbers Problems: HELP NEEDED FOR MY FINAL EXAM!!? and noted that their response was quite similar to my own "I seriously doubt anyone will help you if you don't show your attempt".

Quote Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite
    I certainly didn't make the post seem like homework - it was you who wrote it. Would you mind telling us what it is for then? I'm finding it difficult picturing a business case for knowing such things. Of course I also did a quick search for any posts by you on other forums and came across this one which asking for help on another homework assignment: URGENT: Complex Numbers Problems: HELP NEEDED FOR MY FINAL EXAM!!? and noted that their response was quite similar to my own "I seriously doubt anyone will help you if you don't show your attempt".
    It was clear in that post that it is asking for help for studying for an exam (with no offense, a stupid person would recognize that from the title of the post in that physics forum. In other words, that doesn't show how smart you are to google and find that to post it here - remember you wasted few minutes of your precious time to do that, why do you care a lot?). Also, who said there are no other people like you on earth? In that topic you mentioned, one of the similar people to you replied, and others did, who were helpful - welcome to life, where useless and useful people are available)

I am working on a project, but databases is not my major field of expertise, where I needed answers to those questions (shall I get you some official papers to verify this to give me your precious answer on my questions? But you pay the fees of FedEx ). The internet, which is obviously not limited by you only, is a good source for information, that is why people ask questions online.

It is one of two, either someone helps, or I find the information somewhere else. It is not the end of life not get the answer here in this specific forum.

Thanks

as you rate t'net so highly mebbe there other sources out ther who may help, such as say Experts Exchange?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    as you rate t'net so highly mebbe there other sources out ther who may help, such as say Experts Exchange?
    Or my university professors? I have priorities, I try to do it online, then I try to search for professors specialized in this field.

It seems dbforums has no answer for what I asked (blame it on "homeworks").

Anyway, I tried Experts-Exchange, no answer till now, but I got some major parts of the answers from other online sources.

Very good! One of the primary purposes of homework is to teach you how to do reasearch. That's a large part of why we STRONGLY discourage answering homework questions outright at DBForums.

For elementary research questions like this, we try to get the student to do the basic research themselves... We will help them, especially if they have specific questions or are so far "off track" that they have little or no chance of finding a correct answer based on whet they have already done. We rarely if ever answer this kind of question directly.

It is good to see that you've done some of your assignment yourself!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Very good! One of the primary purposes of homework is to teach you how to do reasearch. That's a large part of why we STRONGLY discourage answering homework questions outright at DBForums.

For elementary research questions like this, we try to get the student to do the basic research themselves... We will help them, especially if they have specific questions or are so far "off track" that they have little or no chance of finding a correct answer based on whet they have already done. We rarely if ever answer this kind of question directly.

It is good to see that you've done some of your assignment yourself!

-PatP
    Guys, you not knowing the answer is not something to be shy of So don't try to show that you know the answers and insist that this is a homework.. admit it.. Grow up, this thread became useless, and I won't reply anymore.

Good luck

John, you really need to work on your English. It would embarass your father... Then again, so would your behavior.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.