Unanswered: SQL Server/OLAP setup proposal. advice appreciated.

Hi All,

New to the forum and really glad i found it considering i deal with more than just one database family, good to see a forum which covers most database genres. Hope to be an active regular member.

I currently have a SQLserver 2000/ AS 2000 environment on 32 bit operating system/database.

We are going to restructure and rewrite our whole AS environment and want to do this with SQL Server 2008/Windows 2003 both 64 bit.

I was thinking of going Windows 2003 server, and SQL server 2008 standard with MSAS 64bit. (SQL Box and AS box will be seperate servers)

One constraint i have come across with AS 2000 is memmory, the OLAP server process was restricted to a 2Gb limit, i checked AWE and everything else but we did not have Windows advanced server installed etc. etc.

Does anyone know the memmory constraints for a single process with Windows 2003 server standard (64bit).

Does SQL Server 2008 AS still have only one server process or more? is the amount of memmory dedicated to the server process only dependant on the OS?

We were going to just throw a load of money at it and just go advanced server and sql enterprise, but i don't want to spend the money if standard 64bit versions will allow full utilisation of memmory and resources.

Thnaks in Advance

After some reading and research i am going for windows 2003 standard / sql 2008 standard, both 64bit.

it seems 64bit has no memmory constraints.

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    The 64 bit Windows 2003 Server Release 2 Standard Edition can address 32 Gb of memory. There is no process limitation so whatever the OS can allocate to a process can be used by that process. This means that you can probably get somewhere close to 30 Gb in a single process.

See Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows) for more details.

I'd recommend that you look hard at the 64 bit Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition before you make a purchase. It brings a lot of nice features that make Data Warehousing and Analysis Services much easier and more powerful.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.