Unanswered: Looking for DB2 version 2 or 2.1

Hi- I would like to purchase DB2 for version 2 or 2.1 manuals or even actual software. Let me know if you want to sell or know who else I can contact for such relics.

Provided Answers: 1
    Groover, Don't take this the wrong way but are you serious? We are talking about 'stone age' software. I was looking at DB2 V2 for AIX around 1988 (20 years ago).

Why not download the free DB2 Express-C V9.7? It will run much better than any DB2 V2 version if you can find anyone outside the Smithsonian who actually has a copy (would it be on floppies?). Not to mention any questions you might have would have some hope of being answered.

Or am I missing something about what you are asking for?

Another question: do you have such old hardware in still-working condition?
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

You guys are assuming that he knows what he really wants. Maybe he wants DB2 for OS/2 or maybe he doesn't even know what DB2 is (maybe he thinks it is dBase).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

And maybe he wants the mainframe version - that would at least take hardware incompatibilities out of the picture.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

I want to buy the first version of Bible.

Maybe someone has ?

Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny77
    I want to buy the first version of Bible.

Maybe someone has ?

Lenny
    The Gutenberg Bible (the first printed version)? NP, but there are only about 20 complete sets available, mostly in museums, so it won't be cheap. The last know sale of a complete Gutenberg Bible was for $2.2 million USD in 1978. I would guess at least $25 million today (probably more).
    M. A. Feldman

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    The Gutenberg Bible (the first printed version)? NP, but there are only about 20 complete sets available, mostly in museums, so it won't be cheap. The last know sale of a complete Gutenberg Bible was for $2.2 million USD in 1978. I would guess at least $25 million today (probably more).
    How you guess I don't want it anymore !

Lenny

Looking for DB2 version 2 or 2.1

Not sure about the Gutenberg but I really would like to find a copy of DB2 version 2 or 2.1.
    Any ideas how to find this stuff, or who would know how to find it? I am working with a colleague who is doing research into the early days of RDBMS. We have access to old hardware which runs DB/2 Verson 2 or 2.1. If you have old software or old hardware with this software on it, we'd like to buy it. We're also looking for old manuals. Any help appreciated. Regards, Groover

Quote Originally Posted by Groover

Not sure about the Gutenberg but I really would like to find a copy of DB2 version 2 or 2.1.
    Any ideas how to find this stuff, or who would know how to find it? I am working with a colleague who is doing research into the early days of RDBMS. We have access to old hardware which runs DB/2 Verson 2 or 2.1. If you have old software or old hardware with this software on it, we'd like to buy it. We're also looking for old manuals. Any help appreciated. Regards, Groover
    There was (and is) no such thing as DB/2. There was DB2/2 (which ran on OS/2 OS). Is that what you want? If not, what operating system are you going to run it on?
    M. A. Feldman

You may try looking for the first edition of the DB2 Certification Guide. The second edition included a trial copy of v5 so it's possible that the first edition included v2.

Looking for DB2 Version 2 or 2.1

Hi Marcus-- MVS was the operating system, but we might run the program in a virtual environment on a normal windows computer, if we can get it set up to run like one of those old servers with the old OS.

I will try looking for the first edition of the DB2 Certification Guide as db2girl suggests-- thanks!

Any other ideas welcome.

Provided Answers: 1
    Groover, Depending on exactly what you are doing, you might try contacting IBM directly. It can't hurt and they are about the best source I can think of that might possibly have a working copy of a 20 year old piece of mainframe software.

Quote Originally Posted by Groover
    Hi Marcus-- MVS was the operating system, but we might run the program in a virtual environment on a normal windows computer, if we can get it set up to run like one of those old servers with the old OS.

I will try looking for the first edition of the DB2 Certification Guide as db2girl suggests-- thanks!

Any other ideas welcome.
    What db2girl was referring to has nothing to with DB2 for MVS. What was included in the Certification Guide was a demo copy of an early version of DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows (and previously OS/2).

I know at one time that there was a PC (with add-in card) that could run MVS, but haven't seen much about them lately. I started working with DB2/MVS at release 1.2 (then 1.3, 2.1, 3.1, etc). I really don't know why you are going to the trouble of trying to get it running. Any benchmarks you do on an MVS emulator will not be representative of mainframes in that period.

I believe that the current versions of DB2 LUW have an query optimization setting that can be set to close to what early versions of DB2 MVS were.
    M. A. Feldman