Unanswered: Allow record editing w/o Access installed

Since I don't have a ton of experience I'm trying to figure out my options before spending a lot of design time.

I'm currently working on a project that requires a lot of data entry/editing of records. I can conduct the entire process in Excel but the amount of data being stored really needs to be done in Access.

The records will be submitted but I need a solution that allows the record to be pulled from Access, edited, and resubmitted. From what I've seen Infopath forms work great for this. However, most of the users have neither Infopath nor Access installed on their machines.

Are there solutions within Excel or other applications that I'm overlooking to accomplish this? I checked into the viewer programs for both IP & Access but neither seem to allow for editing of records. Any help would be great.

Provided Answers: 6
    Presuming you're using Access 2007, there is a free runtime version available from Microsoft. It should work for you.
    Paul

After posting my original message I actually discovered that. However, we are only on 2003 (and probably will be for a while).

A couple of questions:

Does the runtime version allow adding/editing of records just not the actual design aspects of Access?

If the IT dept contains the developer edition of Access 2003, does that give them permission to distribute the runtime version freely? (Just thought I'd see if anyone knew before proposing that to the department).

Thanks so much.

Provided Answers: 6
    Yes; a user with the runtime version can't make design changes to objects, but can manipulate data freely, as allowed for by the application. Most of my users have the runtime version. More info on the 2003 runtime (in short, yes):

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...208861033.aspx

Don't know the licensing ramifications, but the 2007 runtime would probably run the 2003 application. I have users with the 2007 runtime that run older 2000 applications as well as the 2007 applications.
    Paul