Thread: How to start?

How to start?

Hello all. This topic is to introduce myself and also request help, which is the reason i registered here. And i dont know where to post it exactly, and description says i should post here in that case so..

The only experience i have with database was at high school, we did a few projects with microsoft access 2003, and after that, just administrating rights through phpmyadmin when installing CMS system on a apache server. And thats about it... So im a newbie yeah.

Now, i have a project starting that is gonna require DBs. Im making a website for the old Dreamcast platform, i assume it does at least sound to you. In which im planning on making a game catalog, where ill put the game name, cover, description, release date, and more data.. And put all that on a website.

Now.. I need to decide what tools should i use. Like i said im only familiar with M$ Access, but i know using that would require a M$ sql server, something id rather avoid if theres easier alternatives. I tried giving a shot a MySql and the Navicat interface. But theres ONE thing(so far...) i cant get to work: there was that lookup function in access which was really efficient. That function was able to query data from other tables. In this case i would need for instance, i was thinking of making a table with the region codes, and developpers studios. I believe(by guessing) thats the "foreign key" function in Navicat, but i cant get it to work.. I fill the cells with the info i want and it says theres a syntax error..

And second step, like i said, im planning to release that upon a website. I suppose the best way for that is php? Now could someone tell me the basics for that?

So the goal of this topic is to troubleshoot me with those issues, but also if you could enlight me with other options? Like i said im a noob at this, so i dont know all the options.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the board, but let me correct you on one issue right away: drop the "M$". A lot of people here earn an honest living through Microsoft and it's not right to impugn their motives. So just don't do it.

As to external tables: You're pretty vague as to what you're trying to accomplish in terms of linking to external databases. Access would let you mount tables from any ODBC data source directly in your database, but it doesn't sound like you're trying to do that. You need to be more specific, but I'd rather you reposted this part under MySQL where you'll get better info.

As to other options: you're probably not wanting to spend the money for colocating, so you're going to be limited to whatever plans are available. And you have no prior investment in much of anything, so it seems like you'd be best served by looking up some ISPs, finding out who offers the best database package and go with what they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by sco08y
    Welcome to the board, but let me correct you on one issue right away: drop the "M$". A lot of people here earn an honest living through Microsoft and it's not right to impugn their motives. So just don't do it.

As to external tables: You're pretty vague as to what you're trying to accomplish in terms of linking to external databases. Access would let you mount tables from any ODBC data source directly in your database, but it doesn't sound like you're trying to do that. You need to be more specific, but I'd rather you reposted this part under MySQL where you'll get better info.

As to other options: you're probably not wanting to spend the money for colocating, so you're going to be limited to whatever plans are available. And you have no prior investment in much of anything, so it seems like you'd be best served by looking up some ISPs, finding out who offers the best database package and go with what they've got.
    Oh im sorry about the M$ thing, i didnt mean to mention any political thing whatsoever i just was using as an abbreviation, i dont no any other. But alright, ill type the full name from now on..

What i meant about external tables.
    Imagine i make a table, like the one i mentioned, the developper studios.
    Sonic Team
    AM2
    Ubisoft
    etc etc..

Now on the game list table.
    game name field
    release date field
    genre field
    and then, studio field. Where it looks up the previous table mentioned. You know what i mean now? And if thats impossible, at least a way to make like a list. Since no new games are to be made on dreamcast, the developer studio table isnt something im gonna update very often. So all i need is a way to inserts many entries in this one field. And make one selectable.

sco0by - sounds like you've got a better handle on this topic than I have. Any suggestions on the appropriate forum to move it to?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.