Unanswered: SQL Agent job history truncated

I have some SQL Server Agent jobs running that do quite a bit of work which generates a fairly large history log for each job step. When I have some sort of failure in these jobs it's quite difficult to track down where the failure occured because the job history in SQL Server agent appears to be size restricted and I find that I'm missing the large majority of what would ordinarily be the job history and therefore have no information relating to why the job has run into problems.

I know the information is stored in the msdb database in the sysjobhistory table, I'm just wondering if changing the datatype of the message column from nvarchar(1024) to something larger (nvarchar(max)???) would a) resolve the problem of having truncated log information and b) not result in any other problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Provided Answers: 10
    Don't fiddle with the system tables.

I assume you're using SQL Server 2000?
    George
    Home | Blog

Using SQL Server 2005 actually - and yes I know it's a bad idea to mess with system tables, just wondering if anyone else had come across this.

I know you can send the backup to a log file also, which I have done - but I was hoping to have access to the full log through the database without having to import logs from a file constantly.