Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Data Row Problem

All,

Attempting something I have not tried before. Have the form shown.

Need to accomplish the following on the subform:
    1. Change color, row by row, for different status values,
    2. Change value, row by row, from either drop-down or pop-up.
    I actually only need to change/manage color and value in the "Status" column.

I can get the right values, on double-click, but when I attempt to set them all the rows set, not the individual one. I know this is needing an index for the row, but since I've not done this before, do not know what index I am looking for. Also I do not know what I should be searching for, so not getting and online help.

URLs to HOWTOs please.

Thanks!

DBS4M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ticket Approval.png  
    Last edited by dbsupport4me; 10-26-09 at 12:43.

1. Conditional formatting - Just use the built in help
    2. Need more information;

Are you able to post a .zip of the db?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Provided Answers: 59
    Ia conditional formatting available on datasheet forms?

if so then that should work, if not then I don't think you can achieve what you want within the Access RAD.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

1 Conditional formatting does work on datasheets.
    (Just select Format > Conditional Formatting on Access 2003 from the menu.)

However, I would normally use a continuous form to display this type of data.

There are some caveats and sometimes you have to employ a few work-arounds - give it a try first just using the interface.

2 Might be a problem depending on what is required - pending response...

...Is that .zip a possibility?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Conditional Formatting - Not the Answer

All,

I appreciate the inputs on condition formatting, but it is limited to just 3 values, where I have 9.

What I need is for the functionality of conditional formatting in vba so I can fill in the row, setting the color as it sets, then change the column and reset the color, and finally save all this.

Notice I am not using the Nav Bars, etc, so even though the subform is a bound form, this is readonly to the screen and save is handled seperate with a button, as there are 5 tables involved, which are outside of a pre-defined relationship.

Thanks!

DBS4M

If you have >3 items you will have to use a work-around;

Have an invisible text box with =IIf([yourfield]="Yourvalue","",Null) as the controlsource and set the backcolor to the colour you want in this condition.

You will have to have 1 text box per colour per control per value.

I beleive I learned this after reading this...

Forms: Colors and Continuous forms

Can't remember but it does work and I have employed this technique on a few occasions.

As for 'setting' and 'saving' values - if this is a bound form, what is your actual issue here?

Examples

All,

So after following all the links and much more research I was either directed to or found 5 examples of how I should do this, which are in the attached file.

File0 ==> Is one with Bitmap Image and works, but cannot apply to my program as somehow this one gets a value for the combobox field and mine does not. With all my efforts I can not duplicate the ability to get a value in my field, nor is there any detail on how to set the color bitmaps in the database, which is critical.

File1,2 ==> Of no value at all.

File3 ==> Coloring and code are interesting but has no combobox so not sure of any value.

File4 ==> Good code but not Continuous Form so not sure of the value.

Still searching and not finding, so may have to write this one my self. The sites at:

Extending the Functionality of Conditional Formatting in Access
    frice's WebLog : Adding Additional Conditional Formatting in Access with VBA
    Conditional Formatting using VBA : access, conditional, vba, formatting

all suggest this code to set up conditional formatting object values:
    Code:
    Sub TKT_DInit()
        Dim objCond As FormatConditions
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Entered"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Approved"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Deficiencies"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Client Approved"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Invoice Hold"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Billed"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Contested"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Re-Invoiced"))
    '    Set objCond = TargetForm.[cboxHST].FormatConditions.Add(acExpression, , (TargetForm![cboxHST].Value = "Paid"))
    End Sub
    But as you see I had to comment them out as their syntax is incorrect and they constantly give errors.

I did find the code:
    Code:
          Function GetLineNumber(f As Form, KeyName As String, KeyValue)
             Dim rs As Recordset
             Dim CountLines

On Error GoTo Err_GetLineNumber

Set rs = f.RecordsetClone

' Find the current record.
             Select Case rs.Fields(KeyName).Type
                ' Find using numeric data type key value?
                Case DB_INTEGER, DB_LONG, DB_CURRENCY, DB_SINGLE, _
                DB_DOUBLE, DB_BYTE
                   rs.FindFirst "[" & KeyName & "] = " & KeyValue
                ' Find using date data type key value?
                Case DB_DATE
                   rs.FindFirst "[" & KeyName & "] = #" & KeyValue & "#"
                ' Find using text data type key value?
                Case DB_TEXT
                   rs.FindFirst "[" & KeyName & "] = '" & KeyValue & "'"
                Case Else
                   MsgBox "ERROR: Invalid key field data type!"
                   Exit Function
             End Select

' Loop backward, counting the lines.
             Do Until rs.BOF
                CountLines = CountLines + 1
                rs.MovePrevious
             Loop

Bye_GetLineNumber:
             ' Return the result.
             GetLineNumber = CountLines

Exit Function

Err_GetLineNumber:
             CountLines = 0
             Resume Bye_GetLineNumber

End Function
    from File3 interesting as it what I knew is needed to track the ROWindex for each row in the continuous form, but still tryng to figure out the exact application.

I also saw some this forum thread:

UNconditional surrender ! - MDBMakers.com

discussing this and the one guy, who liked concise code, stripped this down to about 3 lines of active code.

Anyway I now have two forms that need this, so really hunting for it. May have to open Fields on my main form, and assign/save values from their, if I can not get the comboboxes working right. Kinda under pressure as I have to deliver at least one of my forms in the morning.

DBS4M
    Attached Files Attached Files

The workaround I suggested will work and requires zero code - did you try it?

Quote Originally Posted by garethdart View Post
    The workaround I suggested will work and requires zero code - did you try it?
    G,

Could not get it to work. Obviously missing something.

DBS4M

Lightbulb Example

I think I might have posted the wrong link, (Im sure credit should go to The Access Web - Dev Ashish here but cannot find the original link which I had some time ago).

Anyhow, here is a quick example which includes:

One table: tblData
    One query: qryData
    Two forms: frmExample - This has 5 conditions
    frmExampleExploded - This makes it more obvious as to what is going on; when you create your text boxes, they have to be stacked on top of each other and 'Sent to back' behind control/s you want to highlight.

Hope this helps - think my original explanation was poor so apologies for that.

2003 Please

Quote Originally Posted by garethdart View Post
    I think I might have posted the wrong link, (Im sure credit should go to The Access Web - Dev Ashish here but cannot find the original link which I had some time ago).

Anyhow, here is a quick example which includes:

One table: tblData
    One query: qryData
    Two forms: frmExample - This has 5 conditions
    frmExampleExploded - This makes it more obvious as to what is going on; when you create your text boxes, they have to be stacked on top of each other and 'Sent to back' behind control/s you want to highlight.

Hope this helps - think my original explanation was poor so apologies for that.
    G,

Your latest is .accdb, which is 2007, and not compatible with 85% of machines, that is why I'm still using 2003 to insure 100% compatibility. Please resend in 2003.

Thanks!

DBS4M

2002-2003 Version

Try this version...

PS Select all the text boxes in design view, On the data tab set enabled to 'no' and locked to 'yes' which I forgot to do - not essential but stops background colour of text box overwriting data - have fun.

Trying

All/G,

G, Sorry could never get anything you sent to work!

Have not had time to work on this till now, so trying. Got this idea searching around. My Code is:
    Code:
    Private Sub cboxCRW_AfterUpdate()
        Set SCRNfields = New clsPRJent
        Set SCRNfields.SourceForm = Me
        Set SCRNfields.TargetForm = Form_sfmPRJasn
        SCRNfields.ASN_CBoxVal
    End Sub
    and
    Code:
    Sub ASN_CBoxVal()
        Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
        Set rs = SourceForm.RecordsetClone
        rs.FindFirst "LabNum='" & SourceForm![cboxCRW] & "'"
        If rs.NoMatch = False Then
            SourceForm.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
        End If
        rs.Close
    End Sub
    Code always blows on line:
    Code:
        rs.FindFirst "LabNum='" & SourceForm![cboxCRW] & "'"
    I'm not understanding the use of "LabNum" so not getting it right.

DBS4M

"could never get anything you sent to work!"

Can you explain why - I've posted a working .zip example.

Why does this not do exactly what you want?