Unanswered: Creating a Database driven site - help needed please

Hi guys, I am new to this forum, and very new to MSQL. I have no programming knowledge in php. Infact I am a graphic/ web designer more than a back end programmer.

I am working on a site for myself that will be a links database site. I am hosted by godaddy and familiar on how to set up a mysql database. Its from there that I get stuck! I have seen the log in for Mysqladmin but dont know how to use it.

I want the site to have the following:

A-z index, each linking to a page of peoples names alphabetically displayed, begining with A for eg. Each persons name will then link to a page of their own. Each persons page will have a thumbnail pic and a long list of external URLS (shown as descriptions, not URLS ie "Job Blogs runs down the road").

I would also like an alphabetical list on a separate page of peoples home sites, ie homepage of joe blogs, sue smith etc.

So, my question is, how do I set a database up, input the data and display it to match my website.

Any info on this or help would be extremely appreciated. I know its a lot to ask but I am starting from scratch with this.

Many thanks in advance guys!

bumping this up

guys I am bumping this thread up as nobody has replied yet.

Can someone please help me as I don't know where else to get this information.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    there is no where near enough information to give a full answer
    there is, I doubt,no where near enough time form the volunteers here to provide an answer.

the first step is to clearly define, in your own mind, but preferably on paper, what it is you need, what you want to achieve.

then you need to design your data model
    Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com
    and
    The Relational Data Model, Normalisation and effective Database Design
    are pretty good starting texts for normalising the data design

then you need to think about how you will interact with the database, that measn what sort of scritping language you are going to use, whether tthats PHP, ASP, PERL or soemthing like Java/JavaBeans. you also need to think about who is going to host your site because that may dictate what tools you can use or afford.

then you need to start thinking about how you are going to develop this site, are you going to use web & data servers hosted on you own machine, or are you going to have a dedicated test server

then you need to decide if you want to run a web 2 type site, if so you need to add Javascript and AJAX into the mix.

so I think you need to learn to crawl before making nay attempts at walking, let alone running. Im not trying to put you off, just trying to popint out where to make a start

if you want to run int he PHP/MySQL world then XAMPP will install a suitable software package, however the default PHP ini file needs tweaking to make it usable for development work, especailly if you are just starting out on the PHP development trail
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by creatives
    Can someone please help me as I don't know where else to get this information
    The traditional way is to learn a little about each of the technologies required. I'd suggest you use google and look for a few tutorials on html, PHP, MySQL and database design - here's one on MySQL to get you going. Then start small and slowly work your way to you final application. You might find, given your skill set, that it might be better to try and convince a more technical colleague or friend about your idea and then go into partnership with them. I'd also check there aren't any similar sites already available. Generally on the forum we answer peoples questions when they get stuck as opposed to building complete sites for people from scratch.

I'm probably repeating what you wrote Mark but seeing as I'd typed this I'll post it. It's odd but the user name creatives combined with the whole request just made me smile.

thanks

Yeah I named myself creatives because I create the design of websites, I am a graphic designer by trade but have no knowledge of programming and back end stuff.

I have read up on the sql site and to be honest it is like talking japanese to me.

I am hosted with godaddy and I know how to set up a database, its the input and displaying of the info via php that i am stuck on.

I thought it would be a case of inserting a script on a page that displays what you tell it to from the database.

I have read on on setting up an input form too, so I could manage that. Its just things like assigning text links etc. As I could input http://site.com but I dont want that shown on the site, I want "joe bloggs site" which is linked to that url. So nowhere in the phpmyadmin did I see an option to do that.

I know exactly what I want to show on the site, its just frustrating as I cant seem to find answers anywhere on the net. I have spent the last few weeks searching for tutorials but when it gets to manual coding, Im lost.

Provided Answers: 59
    if you can't make head or tail of PHP.net try w3schools
    failing that get yourself a decent quality PHP book. Im guessing that what you probably need is a basic entry book, one that makes no assumptions of your knowledge. after that you can go on to one of the P2P (programmer to programmer) books from Wrox or try O'Reilly
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys