Unanswered: Paradox4.5 for Dos Network Query

I currently use Paradox 4.5 and am very happy with same. However, I recently have the need to display different information on 2 seperate screens. The only way I can do this is to set paradox up on a Network. I have previosuly seen it done years ago on a Novel Network. How easy is it to do this under a windows XP environment ?

Provided Answers: 59
    probably best to ask this on the paradox forum

however assuming your display adapter is capable you can run two screens on one XP pc.. however you may need two licences of Paradox. although the program can probably spans both screens it may get a bit ugly to control. to make life easy for yourself make certain you get two screens with the same resolution and same physical size (ideally 2 of the same monitors works best. the mouse can be easily moved from screen to screen)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks, I will re-post on Paradox site. The real query is how easy is it to set Paradox up on a windows network ?

just an FYI to the readers.. he's up and running.. it was easy..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Not that Easy !! I needed Steves Assitance but he directed me to all the relevant sections of info on his website and I was up and running fairly quickly. Great service and a great help. Thanks Steve

Provided Answers: 59
    be nice if the steps taken were documented here, or at worst a pointer to the relevant page elsewhere
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

there's a doc on my web site, 4xGuide, with typical installation and deployment guidelines.. Diarmuid was asking how to run two copies at once.. to "network" his app on one machine.. that just requires two copies installed, each with a different priv, and the same net file..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Angry Further Assistance Needed

Steve,

I am now running Paradox on 2 separate machines networked using Windows XP with Mapped drives. (I am not an expert on windows but love paradox for dos.)

My problem is that it takes almost 5 seconds to even list the tables in the network directy from the 2nd machine. The host machine has no problem and windows explorer has no problem locating files fast but paradox does ? Is this something to do with set-up etc, please advise ........ maybe .net or .cfg files I am unsure. Your help would be great

sounds like you have a two-machine "network" and that one of them is really the "server".. any performance issues will be external to the "network", not controlled within paradox..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Angry

Steve,

As I say I am not great on Windows XP but love paradox.

I have installed Paradox on ACER machine and setup nupdate and then mapped the directory pdoxnet to y:\ . This is where the .net file is stored .

Then on my 2nd Machine i also run nupdate and may the y:\ directory to \\acer561x\pdoxnet.

I can access the files but slow have i do something wrong with set up ? I am in ireland and need to get this resolved. iS IT possible to call you ???

the data itself must be accessed via drive y: from both machines, too, or whatever mapped drive letter you're using, or you'll corrupt the files..

I honestly can't help you with the external XP performance issues..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Steve,

I am trying to understand what you are saying but I am confused and am stuck here with no where to go.

A few things may help me explain better. The y: drive is the mapped drive on both machines and if i use Windowss explorer of Microsoft word or any other application, I can access all files on the shared drive immediately but with Paradox even though i can access the files it takes over 5 seconds.

THis is not a problem with coding or the like. On the 2nd machine i just go into VIEW and type y: and it takes 5 seconds to even list the files and then another 5 seconds when i select one no matter how big or small.

As i say i am no windows expert and have not set up paradox on a windows network before so I am wondering if i have done something wrong with the installation or indeed could it be location of .net or .lck files or even duplicates of same. Please please note everything still works as paradox normally would except when the 2nd machine is accessing the network drive or the server. I understand you are busy obviously but if i could get a few bits confirmed either by phone or mail it would make it easier to identify or change.

As i say i am no expert - all i have is 2 laptops both with Paradox installed and nupdate run

this is one of the problems with a "peer to peer" network.. this is not a real network, you are using one of your workstations as a "server".. that machine is trying to do two things at once.. it's trying to be a server and a workstation, and it's sharing processing cycles doing both..

I'll assume there are some settings in XP that can change the allocation between the two functions, but I'll also assume that will slow down performance on the "server" machine, to improve performance on the other one..

unfortunately, I can't help beyond that.. I'm not a network guy, and I'm not a hardware guy.. technically, I'm not even a paradox guy anymore, except from memory..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

I am beginning to see what you mean with this peer to peer.

sURELY THOUGH THERE IS A WAY TO SET UP 1 OF THE MACHINES AS A SERVER WHICH WOULD SATISFY REQUIREMENTS ?

no.. a real "dedicated server" is a completely different thing..
    --

Oasis Trading Post