Unanswered: 32 cylinder DB2 on aix

G'day. At my current's client site I'm confronted with db2 v8.2.5 32 bit on aix v5.3 64 bit with enough RAM.
    I want to increase the various buffer pool sizes as much as possible. My first attempt failed because I assumed (shame on me) that I could configure 3,2Gb of storage.... WRONG! Hello hidden buffer-pools
    Then google told me that on aix i can only configure 1,75 Gb. Yep, that's all folks.

What google could not find for me is what do I have to squeeze in that 1,75Gb? Does that include buffer-pools, lock-list, package-cache etc etc.
    And what about util_heap-sz, should I reserve space for that memory-object as well?
    Frustrating cofiguration: all that RAM unused in the O.S. and disappointing bufferpool hit-rates and nothing you can do about it.

see if this tech article helps you out :
    The DB2 UDB memory model
    Rahul Singh
    Certified DB2 9 DBA / Application Developer

On 32-bit AIX, the 4GB of addressable memory space is broken down to 16 segments, 256MB each
    Okay, but I'm on 64 bit AIX with 32 bit DB2. Do the same rules apply?
    If so, it leaves me emptyhanded. Not much I can do.

double post, sorry
    Last edited by dr_te_z; 10-28-09 at 07:58.

In v8.2, you could allocate up to 2GB of db shared memory. With 64-bit AIX, 32-bit instance is limited to 32-bit limitations until the instance is converted to 64-bit.