Question Unanswered: Onunload from SCO to HPUX

Hi All,

we are moving informix database from SCO openserver 5.5 to HPux 11.00,
    using the onunload utility : onunload -b 32 -s 1000000 database
    we are getting the error : "incorrect tape type" , whn we are trying to do the onload .

Please if you can help .

thank you .

Provided Answers: 1
    Can you not copy the unloaded database over a network, using ftp or nfs etc.
    If not, can you download the file to a windows machine (if you use ftp, transfer in binary mode.) Copy to dvd? and upload to the HP either through the same windows machine, or directly from the CD/dvd
    The tape block sizes are probably different for a start. The encoding could be different. The tape drives may be incompatible even if the media is supposedly interchangeable.

the database is around 5GB , and unloading it to a file and ftp later from SCO to HPUX is slow and is being cut .
    Do you think using dbexport , dbimport will work ?

Provided Answers: 1
    If you compress or gzip the unloaded file, it will easily fit on a standard dvd, if you don't want to do that use a dual layer dvd (9.1gb). Download a copy of Microlite Edge, Home of Microlite BackupEDGE / RecoverEDGE, or install "cdrecord" (skunkware) and backup the unloaded file. You should be able to read the dvd on the HP machine, and use tar (in the case of Edge) to extract the data. (I have never used an HP-UX machine.)
    I have customers that backup and verify 10gb of disk to dvd in less than an hour.
    Samba, or Visionfs is also available for SCO, assuming you have enterprise and not host, and I assume that Samba is available for HP.

You can not use onload/onunload to migrate a Informix database between differ architectures/OS because the binary data isn't write equal between them (byte swap, this kind of things).
    I already hear in certain situations this works, but isn't recommended .

If you just want to make sure your problem is this kind of incompatible, execute the onunload for each table , creating a file for each one.
    Than try import one-by-one.

But, I recommend work with UNLOAD/LOAD/dbload or dbexport/dbimport or HPL.

Your database isn't big, so in your situation I would prefer dbexport/dbimport + compress/gzip utility

Regards
    César
    http://www.imartins.com.br/informix - English (translated by Google).

I accept with information:If you compress or gzip the unloaded file, it will easily fit on a standard dvd, if you don't want to do that use a dual layer dvd (9.1gb). You can download it here: