Thread: PHP Combo Box

Question Unanswered: PHP Combo Box

Hi,

I'm trying to convert something I originally done in ASPX with MS Access, into a PHP and MySQL web page but I'm having a little difficulty with a combo box.

What I want to do is retrieve a list of table names and place them into a combo box. This works fine in Access using the following;

SELECT MSysObjects.Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE (((MSysObjects.Name)<>'MSysObjects') AND ((MSysObjects.Flags)<>-2147483648 And (MSysObjects.Flags)<>2 And (MSysObjects.Flags)<>-2147483645) AND ((MSysObjects.Type) In (1,4))) ORDER BY MSysObjects.Name;

After converting this code into my PHP strings my combo boxes are coming out blank. Could someone please take a look and tell me if either something is wrong with my code, or if the SQL string above doesn't work in MySQL. In either case an option to rectify this would really help. Note that the connection strings are correct, it's only from $result and below that I'm not sure about

<select name="TranslateFrom" id="TranslateFrom">
    <?php
    mysql_select_db ("MyDatabase", $con);
    $result = mysql_query("SELECT MSysObjects.Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE (((MSysObjects.Name)<>'MSysObjects') AND ((MSysObjects.Flags)<>-2147483648 And (MSysObjects.Flags)<>2 And (MSysObjects.Flags)<>-2147483645) AND ((MSysObjects.Type) In (1,4))) ORDER BY MSysObjects.Name");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))

{
    echo "<option value =" . $row['Name'] . "> " . $row['Name'] . " </option>";
    }

?>
    </select>

Provided Answers: 59
    have you checked that the SQL returns anything
    hace you checked the MYSQL_ERRNO and/or MYSQL_ERROR functions

my suspiscion is that you are trying to access the system objects in a MySQL database using syntax / column or table names from an Access/JET database. the system objects in a MySQL db is in a databse called 'information_schema'. I'd suggest you get a copy of a suitable SQL query tool such as MySQL Query browser. there are other tools such as Heidi SQL
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

re:

First, please call the element what it is. It is a called a select element.
    <select name="pickme">
    <option value="A">A</option>
    <option value="B">B</option>
    <option value="C">C</option>
    </select>

On the server side, you look for the name and value pair. It also depends on whether this is a POST or GET operation. GET, the name value pairs are visible in a URL, POST the name value pairs are sent directly to the server.