Unanswered: Employee Records

I have a test FrontEnd interface in Access Adp format to edit/update data in SQL. I would like Employees to update their own records but how would i go about giving them the frontend interface and only seeing their own records and not everyone else records also. Any ideas/experiences appreciated

Provided Answers: 6
    You can use the Environ() function, something like API: Get Login name, Access Security or a self-written login to get the employee name when the database is started. From there, you can base your form(s) on an SQL statement/query that restricts records returned to theirs.
    Paul

Hi Paul, Many thanks. I will investigate same what you replied

No problem. It should be noted that if you use the normal linked tables, this method would be vulnerable to anyone who knows to hold down the shift key to get at the tables themselves. While that can be disabled, there are ways around it. I guess my point is that it's not "high security". It's like locking your car; you'll keep out most people, but a determined thief can get past it.
    Paul

Interesting Paul. I'm currently using it an adp version linking to SQL. Would it be the same here holding down shift key.

Also, i'm thinking of an idea that when the arrive at splashscreen, that they click a button which grabs their username and a query only returns records for that user

As noted on your other thread, I don't use ADPs. Can't you still see the tables? With SQL Server, I should have pointed out the additional options of either using SQL Server security or Windows Authentication. Either is more secure than anything I noted earlier. More info on both in BOL.
    Paul

hi Paul. Yes, i would be inclined to use SQL Security with Windows Authentication but not sure in my head how i would grab the user login information and only show them their corresponding records. What's BOL?

BOL is Books Online, which is SQL Server's help system. It should have been installed with SQL Server. It's an invaluable tool when using SQL Server. You might also consider "Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server" by Chipman and Baron. It's an excellent resource, and appears to include ADP related info.
    Paul

Thanks Paul, i have read through the Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server book but it doesn't go into detail or provide examples of how i would setup a system where employees can only see their own records based on their existing login

Provided Answers: 10
    Sullyman, you appear to have posted the same question twice http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-sq...e-records.html

Please refreain from doing that!
    George
    Home | Blog