Paradox 4.5 and Vista or Windows 7

I am currently using Paradox 4.5 on a pc with Windows XP. When I attempt to run the program on my laptop that is running Vista, the window will not enlarge to full screen (I've selected that in the properties), it opens and remains in a small window; however, the program does work.

I just purchased a new desktop running Vista, and the program won't open at all. I was told that by upgrading to Windows 7, there would be the capability to revert to XP and thus use Paradox again.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

first question.. 4.5 DOS or 4.5 WIN?
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Dos. We hired a guy in 1992 to write an invoicing program for our small company. He has since passed away, and database holds everything we need, so I don't want to change. However, I'd like to upgrade computers and get this to work on a new one! Thanks for your help.

first, if it's PdoxDOS, I *must* start by saying this: these really isn't any full-time support out there for PdoxDOS anymore.. there are only a handful of of us left, and it's really just for emergencies only.. you *must* replace this app with something modern and supportable, before a disaster strikes and you're left w/o support and/or w/o data..

second.. most of what you stated is wrong, fortunately.. there is a doc called 4xGuide on my web site that addresses installation/deployment in more detail than this thread will, so please download and read it..

you are correct that XP and later versions don't support "DOS full-screen" anymore.. we all use 10x18 screen and it works quite well.. most people went to that size long, long ago..

other than that, PdoxDOS runs the same on Vista as on XP, so you must have done something wrong when you copied it from the other machine.. see my 4xGuide..

as for Windows 7, all indications are that it will be no different than any other version for PdoxDOS, but I haven't tried it, nor do I know of anyone else that has given it a serious workout yet..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Thanks for the information.
    1) If I am not a programmer, how difficult is it to upgrade and still utilize the program written for us in this version (Pdox 4.5)?
    2) To be clear, are you saying that I should be able to open this program in a 10 x 18 screen if I correctly transfer the app onto the new computer running vista or 7?
    3) I don't know if this makes a difference, but I was never given discs for the application, I've just been able to transfer the file from one computer to the next.

also . . . I've located the 4xguide from your site. Thanks for that--should I look into any of the files other than the two that refer to deployment and installation?

1) there is no direct path to upgrade any DOS program to any Windows program.. but the data in the tables can be easily used in any other program, and the app itself is a blueprint of what you do/don't want to do in the future, based on all the years of use..

2) yes.. the instructions are in 4xGuide..

3) this is just an old DOS app.. you *can* copy the files from one machine to another, because there are no hidden files or folders, no registry entries, etc.. again, see 4xGuide..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

should I look into any of the files other than the two that refer to deployment and installation?

those two docs will tell you what to do with the other stuff, if needed..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Last question, and I really appreciate the help--what would recommend as an application to upgrade into?

sorry, I have no specific suggestions..I know nothing about you, your app, your business, or your finances..
    --

Oasis Trading Post