Question Unanswered: Problem with DLookup

My intent is to perform an action based on the part number [Part #] that a user clicks on in form [Parts Book (Form)]. There is a button on [Parts Book (Form)] that shows details, if any, on the [Part #] selected. If details exist they will be listed in table [Part Source] indexed by [PartNumber]. [Part Number] will be the same as [Part #]. Since I want to see if the DLookup statement works before I go any further, I wrote only that part of the code:

Private Sub Form_Current()

Dim Varx as Variant
    Dim strPartNumber as String

On Error GoTo ExitError;

strPartNumber = Forms![Parts Book (Form)]![Part #]
    VarX = DLookup("[PartNumber]", "[Part Source]", "[PartNumber] = " & strPartNumber)

ExitError:
    Exit Sub
    End Sub

Please note that the VarX = line is all one line in the actual code.

strPartNumber is correct; the problem is VarX always comes up Empty whether or not there is a PartNumber in the Part Source table that is the same as Part #. I have tried using quotes like this "[PartNumber] = strPartNumber" with the same results.

What am I doing wrong?

Provided Answers: 59
    is partnumber a number or a string / text column?
    VarX = DLookup("[PartNumber]", "[Part Source]", "[PartNumber] = '" & strPartNumber & "'")
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

DLookup Problem

It is a string as are all of the fields referenced in the code.

Red face dlookup

Healdem,

I want to try the DLookup statement with your choice of quotes, but with the font used here I can't tell the difference between " ' " and ' " " or any other combination of 2 double and 1 single quote. Also, I don't understand the purpose of the last &.

Thanks,

Charles

Provided Answers: 59
    if its a string field then you must encapsulate the value with either " or '. in your case becuase you are encapsualting your other contnet with " I suggested using '. some other languages/database engines would have you use an escape character often the \ symbol

Code:
    VarX = DLookup("[PartNumber]", "[Part Source]", "[PartNumber] = '" & strPartNumber & "'")
    thats how the data engine, in this case JET understands where the string to be amtched stops and starts.

if you find it hard to read then consider using the ascii character 34 to encapsulate the text, it does make code easier to read

Code:
    VarX = DLookup("[PartNumber]", "[Part Source]", "[PartNumber] = " & chr$(34) & strPartNumber & chr$(34))
    its doing the same job but in my books its easier for humans to read.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Smile DLookup

Healdem,

That works! Thanks for your patience and your help.

Charles