Unanswered: Triggers and SQLSTATE 428F9

Hello,

I have problem with triggers. There are two triggers: before (abi) and after (aai) insert. The signalled error is in aai with tokens from abi Both triggers should work separately and should know nothing about each other. I know there are some exceptions when NEXT VALUE cannot be used but it seems it does not cover my problem. What is wrong and how to solve it then?
    (environment: db2 9.5 with no patches on Linux)

create table a (i integer)!
    create table b (i integer)!
    CREATE SEQUENCE sq AS integer!
    CREATE TRIGGER abi BEFORE INSERT ON a REFERENCING NEW AS N FOR EACH ROW MODE DB2SQL
    BEGIN ATOMIC
    SET N.i = NEXTVAL FOR sq;
    END!
    CREATE TRIGGER aai AFTER INSERT ON a REFERENCING NEW AS N FOR EACH ROW MODE DB2SQL
    BEGIN ATOMIC
    insert into b (i)
    WITH x(xi) AS (values N.i UNION ALL SELECT xi+1 FROM x WHERE xi<N.i+10)
    SELECT xi FROM x;
    END!
    insert into a values (0)!

Error: SQL0723N An error occurred in a triggered SQL statement in trigger "DB2INST1.AAI". Information returned for the error includes SQLCODE "-348", SQLSTATE "428F9" and message tokens "NEXTVAL FOR DB2INST1.SQ"

If we replace a recursive with simple "insert into b (i) values (n.i);" or remove any trigger it will be working properly. Unfortunately on production I have to have a sequence call before and recursive query after insert.
    Last edited by bigmickey; 11-10-09 at 09:09.

Provided Answers: 1
    I think you can try to look at the INSERT explain plan to see what is it that DB2 is trying to execute.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Unfortunately the explain plan in such situation is not accessible. I've got the same error.
    Any other ideas? Is it known problem? Maybe it is an additional nonsensical exception in DB2 making the programmers to be cross?

Appears to be the way it will/should work ... Sequences are not supported in recursive CTEs.

Open a PMR and confirm with IBM ...

The workaround is to use a Stored Proc in the After Trigger

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 11-12-09 at 07:46.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

It looks worked well on my DB2 9.7 for Windows.

Code:
    ------------------------------ Commands Entered ------------------------------
    connect to SAMPLE ;
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Database Connection Information

Database server        = DB2/NT 9.7.0
     SQL authorization ID   = DB2ADMIN
     Local database alias   = SAMPLE

A JDBC connection to the target has succeeded.
    DB20000I  The SQL command completed successfully.

CREATE TRIGGER abi BEFORE INSERT ON a REFERENCING NEW AS N FOR EACH ROW MODE DB2SQL 
    BEGIN ATOMIC
    END!

CREATE TRIGGER aai AFTER INSERT ON a REFERENCING NEW AS N FOR EACH ROW MODE DB2SQL 
    BEGIN ATOMIC 
    insert into b (i)
    SELECT xi FROM x;
    END!
    SQL0347W  The recursive common table expression "DB2ADMIN.X" may contain an 
    infinite loop.  SQLSTATE=01605

SELECT * FROM a!

I          
    -----------

1 record(s) selected.

SELECT * FROM b!

I          
    -----------

11 record(s) selected.

Thank you to both of you. The workaround is working and as for now it's the only solution in my case.

That's interesting ... Can you post the explain plan please, if at all possible ...

Quote Originally Posted by tonkuma View Post
    It looks worked well on my DB2 9.7 for Windows.

Code:
    connect to SAMPLE ;

Database Connection Information

Database server        = DB2/NT 9.7.0
     SQL authorization ID   = DB2ADMIN
     Local database alias   = SAMPLE

A JDBC connection to the target has succeeded.

BEGIN ATOMIC
    END!

BEGIN ATOMIC 
    insert into b (i)
    SELECT xi FROM x;
    END!
    SQL0347W  The recursive common table expression "DB2ADMIN.X" may contain an 
    infinite loop.  SQLSTATE=01605

SELECT * FROM a!

I          
    -----------

1 record(s) selected.

SELECT * FROM b!

I          
    -----------

11 record(s) selected.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.