Unanswered: How do I use the "JVM supplied with InstallShield"?

How do I use the "JVM supplied with InstallShield"?

I found the below troubleshooting information on Sybases website...

"Troubleshooting InstallShield Failure with a Missing JVM
    Ensure a valid path to your JVM.

InstallShield may fail with a message that it cannot find a JVM (Java virtual machine). There is a JVM supplied with InstallShield, but there may be another JVM in the path.

To work around this failure, restart the installer and include this argument on the command line: ./setup -is:javahome jvmpath
    Where jvmpath indicates the appropriate path to your JVM."

When I browse the CD-Rom, I can see the JVM directory. I tried to copy to the directory on my server/machine from the CD-ROM using the following Unix command...

cp -rp /cdrom/disc1050709/jvm/* /export/home/jvm

Unfortunately, it seems to fail and not copy all files/links over. Not sure why.

Anyways... instead of copying the files over to my server/machine, can I just run the JVM from the CD-ROM? Meaning, using the following command...

./setup -console -is:javahome /cdrom/disc1050709/jvm/bin

What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Please send constructive feedback only...

Derek Asirvadem,

Please keep in mind that other users are reading this post. They are not interested in your personal grudge or opinion. Please send constructive feedback only...

Please read the forum rules and abide by them.

Frank

Evidently you are joking. The posted "rules" are:
    Code:
    1. The site moderator staff have the final say.
    2. See Rule #1
    WHich means there are no rules (using the English meaning of the word).

Back to your problem. I do not hold grudges, and I would like to help anyone, including you. The dilemma I have is twofold.
    1 Sure I can help you with the specifics, but the back-and-forth nature of the interaction required to take you from where you are (error msg) to where you want to go (successful installation), cannot be done reasonably in a forum or newsgroup.
    2 There is a learning curve that you are faced with. We both know that there are hindrances to the learning process, so from the outset I know it will take a long time; and there are many obstacles to cross, which will make the journey even longer.
    Therefore, the best considered advice I can give you is to get from where you are to where you need to go is, call Sybase Tech Support, they handle these problems free, and they are very helpful. In the same vein, if you were a customer, I would say, call our support line, we will help you free, we have people who are trained to help customers who are new to the software, Java VM, Installation difficulties.
    Regards
    Derek Asirvadem (Formerly DerekA)
    Information Architect / Senior Sybase DBA
    Copyright 2009 Software Gems Pty Ltd

I answer questions from the Original Poster only. If you have a genuine question, as the moderators have requested, start a new thread.

http://www.softwaregems.com.au

Turns out that it's not rocket science after all...

Simple answer to a simple question...

The original question:
    How do I use the "JVM supplied with InstallShield"?

Below is the simple answer to the above question:

===============================================
    Below is a snippet from Sybase documentation...
    ===============================================

JVM path installation issue
    Problem: On some platforms, InstallShield may fail with a message that it cannot find a JVM (Java virtual machine). There is a JVM supplied with InstallShield, but there may be another JVM in the path.

Workaround: Restart the installer and include the following argument on the command line:

./setup -is:javahome /cdrom/JVM

Use the appropriate location of the JVM, which is on the CD.