Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dbase Wars?

Dbase Wars?

I have seen Access way over used. I tell my students to stay away from it and look at free options like MySQL and MS SQL Express. Am I wrong? Do you see any Dbase wars like out MAC vs. PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinvandale View Post
    Do you see any Dbase wars like out MAC vs. PC?
    not so much lately, because i think they've finally come to their senses, but for a couple of years several otherwise highly respected regular contributors on this forum used to denigrate mysql all the time as a "toy" database

and of course everyone dumps on access

i personally think access is a stellar database, always has been and always will be
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I agree with Rudy. I've been using Access for about 20 years now. It sure does make my job a lot easier. Easy front end development - and the next logical step for anyone who has the mental capacity to understand that Excel is more than just "=sum(A2:A7)"

BTW: Interesting first post. Going by the subject, I was hoping it was about a new online game.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Boring & childish first post.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

at least I was trying to be nice by using the word "interesting".

Nothing more than trolling.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    Nothing more than trolling.
    I'm always amazed at how bored a person could be when they would join a forum just to post something like that.

.Sorry you--PoodleFlump--find this boring...but I am IT instructor and I want some working professionals to help me make a correction on how I teach introduction to databases.

What I mean by over use is sharing an access database on a lan. I was in a training meeting where the instructor need some information. He put up an access database and it locked and was unusable.

I am not much of a programer but I was sure I could do the same with Visual Studio with SQL express.

I am leaning toward not being so hard on Access. Thanks. I would like more feedback

access should not be used on a lan -- it's a desktop database

you should still consider using access as the teaching vehicle, provided that it uses linked server tables (e.g. ms sql server, mysql, whatever you like)

the access query builder is outstanding, and that's what students really need -- a quick, easy-to-use front-end application that lets them interact easily with the data
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Fanboy stuff like PC Vs Mac and a 1001 other "my toy of choice is better than yours" litters the internet. It is as worthy as carpenters squabbling over hammers and screwdrivers.

Access is a wonderful tool, as are MySQL and SQL Server (and other tools not mentioned). Are there circumstances where one is superior to the other? Of course there are. Should any of them be dismissed for all applications? Of course they should not.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I have to disagree with you a tad Rudy...

Whilst Access is a fab front-end tool for quick development, I wouldn't actively advise people to use the query builder. Whilst it can be pretty good for ad-hoc stuff, it is too limited and certainly doesn't teach you any SQL at all. Of course the query builder can be used to write SQL, so that would be my preferred route to show people.

wow, that's worded badly...
    George
    Home | Blog

Switch to SQL View

I do have my students switch to SQL view and modify the statements manually. Thanks.

It happens alot

[QUOTE=pootle flump;6433321]"It is as worthy as carpenters squabbling over hammers and screwdrivers."

Great quote. I still see this a lot. We have IT staff here that are pushing Moodle like a crazy and we get access to Blackboard for free (we have a sister school that let's tag along).

Quote Originally Posted by gvee View Post
    ... it is too limited and certainly doesn't teach you any SQL at all
    i have to disagree with you a tad, there, george

the query builder teaches you SQL because it builds working queries, which you can then read to see the SQL that accomplishes the task

mind you, i have many issues with access SQL, not the least of which are the failure to allow indenting on saved queries and the vomit-inducing number of nested parentheses it wants to throw into every WHERE clause

but as a learning tool, building actual working queries in a gui and then inspecting the SQL -- that can't be beat
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

There is a query builder in SQL Server that is almost identical to the one in Access (except that it generates even worse SQL).

Out of curiosity Rudy how come you never mention that one? Just curious because I know you love the one in Access
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump