Unanswered: Installing DB2 Express-C UDB 9.7 over DB2 8.2 PE Connect

Hello list,
    I am a mainframe programmer and we are testing IBM Rational Developer for System z (RDz) here. Currently I have DB2 PE Connect 8.2 installed on my PC to connect to mainframe tables and IBM Content Manager. I can't create any local databases using this version. So I would like to install DB2 Express-C 9.5 or 9.7 on my PC, create the SAMPLE database and complete the RDz exercises.

Would installing DB2 Express-C 9.5 or 9.7 mess up my DB2 PE Connect 8.2 settings and configurations with the mainframe?
    Thanks for your time,
    EK

Environment: Cobol for z/OS v3r4, DB2 8.2 for z/OS, CICS 3.2 on a z9 mainframe.

Go for 9.7, why not?
    Not sure, could be. Before you start, execute these commands and save the result. This "should" be enough info to re-create your configuration.
    Code:
    db2 get cli cfg
    db2 list node directory
    db2 list database  directory
    Good luck with RDz and be patient because: yes the install takes that long and yes it eats a lot of hard drive

Smile

Thank you dr_te_z, I executed those commands and got the output piped to a txt file.

I've got RDz 7.6 installed. It's very cool, I love it except that it came out like 10 years late! I am going through the exercises in the RDz redbook now

If you have DB2 z/OS database catalogued, you will also need to do this:

db2 LIST DCS DIRECTORY
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks Marcus_A

Quote Originally Posted by ek1975 View Post
    I've got RDz 7.6 installed. It's very cool, I love it except that it came out like 10 years late!
    So, you missed mainframe express by Micro Focus the last 20 years..... pitty