Unanswered: How to make from .class files and Access database(dsn...) an .exe file self-run

Subject: How to make from .class files and Access database an .exe file self-run Java GUI App, Event/Data-Driven (DESKTOP APP) for a PC without Access/Java config...

I read a TEXTBOOK about Java & Databases but does not say about building a Developers Product ready for sale, only how run the java App in my special configured java&Access PC, Well how from .class files & .mdb & DB Drivers/DSNs files ready made, make a developer's product ready for sale , I guess this will be file.exe with other files??? may do from CLI or I need an IDE...?

SPECIFICALLY: database is Type 1 JDBC Driver - MS-ACCESS 2003

Quote Originally Posted by lse123 View Post
    Subject: How to make from .class files and Access database an .exe file self-run Java GUI App, Event/Data-Driven (DESKTOP APP) for a PC without Access/Java config...

I read a TEXTBOOK about Java & Databases but does not say about building a Developers Product ready for sale, only how run the java App in my special configured java&Access PC, Well how from .class files & .mdb & DB Drivers/DSNs files ready made, make a developer's product ready for sale , I guess this will be file.exe with other files??? may do from CLI or I need an IDE...?

SPECIFICALLY: database is Type 1 JDBC Driver - MS-ACCESS 2003
    So you're looking at several parts that must be in place before the app can actually run:

1. The Java virtual machine.
    2. Your .class files.
    3. The JDBC driver.
    4. Various configuration parameters, such as where to find the JVM, the .class files, the JDBC driver connect string, etc.

Astoundingly enough, google "compile java to exe" answered the first two. Here's a good discussion on the subject.

The third item is a little tricky. MS Access is a crappy database to use for this simply because you need to make sure the user has various bits of Access available. It can be done, but the user will have to use an installer.

Two good deployment scenarios are that either the user already has Java installed or you've compiled to an exe and the JVM is hidden inside the exe. In both cases, the user can, after downloading your file, just double-click it. That's not hard to achieve.

The solution really is to dump Access and use a pure Java embedded DBMS. Here's one example. IDEs like Eclipse may provide you with a stater project that combines your GUI, embedded database, and deployment already set up. (I've never really gotten into Eclipse precisely because there's *so* much stuff there that it can be hard to figure out what's going on.)