Unanswered: Sql Server in Stand by mode? Really? Help!?!

I am trying to carry-out a full database restoration in standby mode on my Sql Server 2008 (on Windows 2003 Datacenter Edition R2 SP2). After this, I then have to restore about 62 transaction log files; after which my client intends to send me 4 transaction log files everyday (with which I intend to keep our database up-to-date). The aforementioned full backup file is about 140 Gb's and each transaction log file averages about 10 - 20 MB's in size.

Problem is, I only just realized that I cannot restore the database in RECOVERY mode (I did this 4 weeks ago) and then switch it back to NORECOVERY/Stand-by (today) so that I can apply all the subsequent transaction logs :-(. So I decided (or tried) to do another full database backup restoration (today) in Stand-by mode (while keeping the database accessible but in READ-ONLY mode), so that I can apply all subsequent transaction logs as they come in on a daily basis.

this was my original restoration attempt:

RESTORE DATABASE [Easygrants_RBI] FROM DISK = N'F:MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\Easygrants_RB I_backup_200910270200.bak'
    MOVE N'Easygrants_v53' TO N'F:\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\EasyGrants_RBI _Data.MDF',
    MOVE N'Easygrants_v53_log' TO N'F:\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\EasyGrants_RBI_ Log.LDF', NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 10

I got this error:

"This backup cannot be restored using with standby because a database upgrade is needed....."

I think the original database whose backups I'm trying to upgrade is Sql Server 2005.

Is there anyway around this problem without upgrading the 2005 Sql Server (of which I have no control over). Can I apply 2005 Transactional Log files to a Sql Server 2008 database in stand-by mode? without having to do an upgrade???????

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    No, because a database upgrade (from 2005 to 2008) ir required, you can't apply log files after the restore.

You can "fake it" by:
    1) Setting up a named instance of SQL 2005
    2) Restoring a read only copy of the client database on the named instance.
    3) Creating a SQL Agent job to copy the database from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Not pretty, but it would get you what you want.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.