Unanswered: init user database failed

Hi guys,
    My firm owns an rtu whose monitoring center uses a MS access database. the server with the monitoring center software crashed and when we tried to start the monitoring center application after re-installing, a init user database failed error message was generated. Please i need your assistance. Thanks

don't know what is an rtu
    don't know what is an init
    don't know what is the error message
    don't understand your question....

re ...

rtu stands for remote terminal unit. it is used to remotely control devices. it has a sim card embedded in it. it works with a gsm modem to remotely control other rtus. where i need your help is with initialising the database i.e is the access database. thanks

There is no 'initialising' of an mdb file so to speak. When you open an mdb file, by file association it automatically opens MSAccess and launches the mdb file. But you can open the mdb using a dos type command such as: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office10\MSAccess.exe " & "C:\MymdbFolder\Mymdb.mdb" (ie. perhaps coded in a vb script) if that's what you mean by initialising.

Regardless, users will need to have the ability to run MSAccess or the MSAccess runtime file in order to open the mdb file. If your users are connecting to a network/shared drive type environment, MSAccess (or the runtime) is typically installed on the terminal client run by the users. Once connected, if they have access to the network/shared drive, they'd then open the mdb on the network/shared drive.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-16-09 at 21:53.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

re: init user database failed

Thanks for the post, it was very refreshing. my application works with an MS access db, the issue is that the application does not even come up. it just displays the "init user database failed" error message. does the message mean initializing user database failed which is relating to my MS access not connecting with the application to start up? please i need you guys to brain storm this with me because the technical support team keep telling me its a softaware problem and not from them.
    thanks
    Stephen Haruna

Provided Answers: 59
    ok so waht device is reporting "init user database failed"
    if that is whilst running a Access application then open that app in design mode and track the message, find out what reports that message

if its on your RTU it may be some other software configuration

its my suspsicion that its a client program that is trying to open an access application, or a JET db and becuase of what you have done its failing to do so

so it could be that its looking for a specific file in a specific location
    it could be a permissions problem
    it could be the config of the RTU

afaik init user database failed is not a standard MS Access message os its either custom code within an Access application OR its an error reported by another piece of software, which in turn be be custom software. so check your developer documentation to find out what may generate that error message
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks again, lets say i install jet db, do i have to do any configuration on it? My software is a monitoring station, which via sms/gprs remotely controls rtus remotely. my aim is to install he monitoring software. there is no rtu connected localy.

Provided Answers: 59
    as a general rule, aside from setting network permissions no

however your application may be expecting specific userid's and user groups within the JET db. thats why I suggest you look at the software that is throwing the error message. its something that that software is encountering, its nothing to do with Access in general its to do with how your system functions. we do not have sufficient information to make a definitive guess, merely educated guesses as to where the problem lies.

so if you are unable to restore from a backup I'd strongly reccommend you go back to the supplier of this software and findout what this error message means. once you understand what the error message is trying to tell you then you will be able to work out how to resolve the problem.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks healdem, Your advice is highly noted.