Question Unanswered: Form Completion Tracking

I have a bit of VBA that updates data on several massive tables. I used to do this through Excel, but I've got it working in Access, however the Process tracking userform needs to be recreated. Anyone ever make a completion tracking graphic for form's? I have the tracking variables all setup to drive it, but I'm still researching exactly how to go about this. Thanks!

If anyone is interested, I found a good solution here: CSD - Progress Bars

If your looking for a progress bar (which the link you supplied demonstrates), there's a very nice example in the code bank. Note though progress bars work with vba code to loop through a recordset since you can then call the function to increase the progress bar on the form as to where the code is within the recordset. Progress bars do not work with running queries and the trouble you go through trying to implement one to run a set of queries, will not be beneficial (ie. trying to implement Microsoft's progress bar is not recommended! - I spent months trying to implement this and it does NOT work well!) If you're running a set of queries, your much better off sending messages to an unbound text box (or caption box) on your form indicating the progress of running queries (ie. me.mycaptionfield.caption = "Query X is complete.", me.repaint)

Progress bar example: http://www.dbforums.com/6304815-post55.html (note: no activeX used - as your link pointed out - avoid activeX controls.)

Basically, a Progress bar just uses a formula to expand a text/caption box (changing the background color as it progresses). You send the function to do this the 'counter' of where you are in looping through a recordset in vba code which then does it's calculation and 'expands' the box on the form. The example above shows how this works along with how to populate a 'status' box on which record it is processing via the vba code. If you're intent on using a progress bar for running a 'set of queries', you're best off creating a variable on the number of queries being executed, incrementing that after each query is run, sending a message to a caption box as to which query is executing, and sending the variable as a parameter to the progress bar function (note though that this will most likely happen very fast unless you have many queries or long updates.)

The big thing to remember when trying to implement a progress bar is that you need to send a 'Repaint' command to the form after each 're-draw'. Otherwise you will scratch your head on why it isn't working.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-16-09 at 22:47.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks pkstormy, some excellent additional information.