Question Unanswered: Create an Oracle dblink from Postgres 8.4

Hello all,
    I am an experienced Oracle developer. I was asked to test the use of several Oracle tables from within a Postgresql database.
    My first idea was to create a dblink from postgresql towards the Oracle schema.
    So I've downloaded 8.4 version (standard not advanced) and tried to look in various documentation sites but I am unable to find out how can I create such a dblink.
    Any help would be very appreciated
    thanks
    bye
    nicola

You'll be better off establishing a link from Oracle to Postgres and doing push instead of pull. If you need to go the other way, Postgres has a dblink contrib module but it is not as robust as the Oracle equivalent.

PostgreSQL: Documentation: Manuals: PostgreSQL 8.4: dblink

Hello,
    Thanks but I am unable to find an example ... it seems there is not a "dblink create" statement and, in the dblink_connect page, there is no reference to something like an oci or, say, a tns connection ... in google I've found example with a Oracle-similar syntax (like "create public database link etc..") but it seems to belong to a different not free version ..
    I would really need to see an example of defining such a dblink ...

Hi,

I have to establish a dblink from postgres to oracle. I found that dblink module is cor establishing connectiviity inbetwwen postgres-postgres database server.
    I am still struggling with the issue to connect oracle from postgres. I tried with dbi-link and also tried to connect postgres from oracle but did not succeed. I am new to database administration, please help me to resolve this issue.

Five months later and you haven't worked it out yet? Given that you're an Oracle shop, why don't you download EnterpriseDB's Advanced Server? You'll have pretty much everything you are familiar with in Oracle available to you including Oracle types and PL/SQL. The last time I kicked the tires on it, it did an amazing job of connecting to my Oracle DB translating the schema and pulling the data over.

Postgres Plus Downloads | EnterpriseDB