Unanswered: Server Upgrade now Pervasive has issues

Here’s the general issue:

Database is based off Maximizer version 9.
    Uses a pervasive 9.1 / btrieve engine

Maximizer is basically contact management on steroids. I can /link a file to a client inside it.
    The link seems to be hard coded \\servername\path\etc inside the database

We upgrade our server from a junkhardware running Win 2003 SBS
    .. to
    Win 2008 R2 Standard

The database moved over fine and runs on the new system.
    The links however are still pointing to the old server, so while the old server is online, the files when accessed open from the old server.

If the old server is offline, the Maximizer database will not even load.

Microsoft allows 7 days to migrate data from an old server to new server, my 7 days are up.
    So the old server began to auto-shut down every 60 minutes.

We applied a patch to the old server today which has extended the 7 day migration to 21 days. So I have approximately 12 days left.

Maximizer states that the data is embedded and cannot be accessed and they cannot assist.

Someone else having my exact issue in 2001 can be read here:
    Problem moving server data - Maximizer CRM Software - CABC

There are several pervasive database programs that can filter through tables and display/edit data directly, but I’ve been unsuccessful with these so far.
    Maximizer tells me the data that I am specifically trying to locate is contained in the file MXZL.MAX

I can find all the data regarding the file entries, just not the actual link location.

Provided Answers: 4
    I saw this on the site you linked:
    As explained in our recent telephone conversation, it's a regretable issue concerning the filestore that unfortunately cannot be resolved by anybody other than Multiactive. It is a feature of Maximizer that when you link a file, even if from a file path containing a mapped drive, that it is resolved to a UNC file path before the link is saved.

I suspect that this was a design decision that Multiactive took early on so that linked documents could be accessed from anywhere on a network.

While I agree that perhaps the documentation could have been more concise (it has now been amended) it does very clearly state the following:

"You must give very careful consideration to the location of the Max Doc filestore on your network server. You don't want to have to move the filestore at a later date, as this can break all the links between the documents and your Maximizer databases".

The simplest advice that we can offer is that you give your new server the same name as your previous one. Is there a particular reason why this cannot be done?
    This is a Maximizer issue and not a PSQL issue. PSQL only stores what it's told to store and only loads files it's told to open. THe application is responsible for passing the right file name (including the server name if specified).

You said that Maximizer doesn't even load. What error does it give?
    Can you use the Pervasive tools (Pervasive Control Center, Function Executor, etc) to open any of the Maximizer files on the new server? If so, then you'll need to contact Maximizer to find out what needs to be done.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil View Post
    You said that Maximizer doesn't even load. What error does it give?
    Maximizer the application loads. When you select the database, it takes about 1 minute before it displays the database selection window again. It simply doesn't load, nor is there an error.

Can you use the Pervasive tools (Pervasive Control Center, Function Executor, etc) to open any of the Maximizer files on the new server?
    Yes, I can browse through the database. Trouble is finding the correct link information I'm after. The best I've been able to find is the following (from the file mxzl.max where tech support has state the information is stored):

query:
    CREATE VIEW "AMGR_Letters" AS SELECT "T1" ."Data_Machine_Id" ,"T1" ."Sequence_Number" ,"T1" ."Owner_Id" ,"T1" ."Client_Id" ,"T1" ."Contact_Number" ,"T1" ."Private" ,"T1" ."Table_Id" ,"T1" ."Type_Id" ,"T1" ."Doc_Size" ,"CONVERT" (IF ("T1" ."DateCol_Date" < '1900-01-01' ,'1900-01-01' ,"CONVERT" ("T1" ."DateCol_Date" ,"SQL_CHAR" ))+' ' +"CONVERT" ("T1" ."DateCol_Time" ,"SQL_CHAR" ),"SQL_TIMESTAMP" ),"T1" ."Ole_Doc_Type" ,"T1" ."DType" ,"T1" ."Creator_Id" ,"T1" ."Entity_Type" ,"T1" ."Description" FROM "AMGR_Letters_Tbl" "T1"
    and this is an example of data, (the file linked located at \\desa\shared documents\problems.txt)
    3597084467 5 Public 090818000033597084467C 0 0 8 3724050020 30 11/18/2009 11:03:02 AM .txt 0 MASTER 1 problems
    I simply can't find actual path locations anywhere in the database, and I've gone through all tables several times.

If so, then you'll need to contact Maximizer to find out what needs to be done.
    Maximizer has been quite unhelpful. They've offered that the data should be in mxzl.max. Other than that they have said the data is embedded and cannot be accessed and they cannot help any further.

The embedded part confuses me and I don't believe them. I'm running Max v.9 using the Pervasive 9.1. The newer Max 10.5 now runs with SQL Express. The new version also has an option in the Admin panel to change the link locations for the files (exactly what I want). I find it rather upsetting that they have the knowledge to upgrade my program, port the information out of pervasive into sql express and then change the links, yet they will not help unless I purchase the upgrade.

I may be forced to in the next couple days if I can't access it myself.

Anyhow, thanks very much for the help.

/tax

Update from Maximizer is that they 'probably' have someone in the office that can do it (since he's been there 17yrs they say). He can do it as a project for us, but they will not tell me how, as it's a sensitive procedure.

What happens to a new file (created on the new server)? What for instance is the machine ID?
    Is it possible to export all the old data, purge the data base and import the data back?

"T1" ."Data_Machine_Id" , ----- 3597084467
    "T1" ."Sequence_Number" , ----- 5
    "T1" ."Owner_Id" , ----- Public
    "T1" ."Client_Id" , ----- 090818000033597084467C
    "T1" ."Contact_Number" , ----- 0
    "T1" ."Private" , ----- 0
    "T1" ."Table_Id" , ----- 8
    "T1" ."Type_Id" , ----- 3724050020
    "T1" ."Doc_Size" , ----- 30
    "CONVERT" (IF ("T1" ."DateCol_Date" < '1900-01-01' ,'1900-01-01' ,
    "CONVERT" ("T1" ."DateCol_Date" ,"SQL_CHAR" ))+' ' +"CONVERT" ("T1" ."DateCol_Time" ,"SQL_CHAR" ),
    "SQL_TIMESTAMP" ), ----- 30 11/18/2009 11:03:02 AM
    "T1" ."Ole_Doc_Type" , ----- .txt
    "T1" ."DType" , ----- 0
    "T1" ."Creator_Id" , ----- MASTER
    "T1" ."Entity_Type" , ----- 1
    "T1" ."Description" ----- problems

Googling just now gave me this intereasting link for the first part of the problem. Files are stored in DATA\MXZL.MAX - which you probably knew. Maximizer Files

So maybe, just overwrite the file and try (after full backup), then apply some sort of FIX within the maximiser tools eg: Answer

Whats the error code you get? If MXZL.MAX is > 2GB, there will be associated files called MXZL.^01 etc.

As a last resort, you must have looked at the pervasive data tools web site
    Data Extractor from Pervasive.SQL | PERVASIVE DataTools

I got interested in pervasive because they are now launching operations and support in India - where I come from.

END

I've been on the phone with Maximizer every day. Turns out they now say the actual link location for the linked files in the documents area is in the file mxzd.max. The user defined fields file.

They won't tell me how to open that one and I can't access it with anything thus far.

$850 for the upgrade and it works now.
    Just have to spend a few hours relinking 450 directories.

Thanks for your thoughts folks.