Unanswered: Golf Tournament App needs auto-refreshing leaderboard

Hello,

Not sure if there are any golfers or golf fans around, but I need some help adding a "Leaderboard" to a golf tournament application I have running in Access.

All the data is local to the laptop running the application, or possibly on a network drive.

The user is entering scores into a form on the application and would like to have a projector displaying a leaderboard, or some kind of web page displaying scores already entered. The event may be flighted, i.e. "A", "B" and "C" golfers, so the web page would need to cycle through the flights, or if there's only one flight, there would probably be too many players to display on a single page.

Can this be done on a Data Access Page? ASP? No idea. I do this as a hobby and would be looking to outsource this.

I probably haven't provided enough information, so questions are welcome.

Thanks for any input.

Peter

Provided Answers: 59
    thsi can be done in any developemnt environment, heck you can do it in Access

you'd need a data stroage mechanism, falt files would work, but if you'd be better of witha a db, well I would say that on a db fourm....

you'd need a PC to enter teh resutls
    you'd need a pc connected to the project to display the results
    you'd need some code / software to capture the data
    you'd need some code to reguralry refressh the dispaly oint he pc connected to the projector

you'd need to do some investigation to find out if the projhector is capable of displaying the resutls at the size and ambient light of where you want to display..

as an alternative you could use one computer with two screens. one for data entry, one for display ( the display could be projector only, or you could use a VGA splitter and feed th eprojector and one of those enormous LCD computer screesn... 24" monitors are not that expensive, and if the club has a swanky lounge they may even have a widescreen TV which could be used as a display monitor

as with all these things its limited by your imagination, your requirements and your budget
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

a confusing jumble of issues; a golf leader board is nothing more than a sort...in this case their score in order lowest-to-highest

cycling continuously between forms/reports in order to display the differing flights isn't Access's forte...but it sounds like you would have 1 form per flight and then work up some code to make visible/not visible each form.....haven't really gotten into timing like this so have no example to give....

projectors ?? has nothing to do with Access - - there's a bunch out there...

Thanks for the replies so far. As I stated, I probably didn't put enough information into my initial post.

The Access application is up & running. I built it. I have the Access skills for that, but not the webpage skills for this part. I've seen other golf applications where the user is busy entering scores on his laptop and he has a projector connected, probably in extended desktop mode, with his application on the laptop side of the desktop and the projector projecting what is on the "monitor" side of the extended desktop - the leaderboard.

My application already has all kinds of reports, so I have a source query all set to feed some kind of web page for the "leaderboard".

So, bottom line, I'm looking to build a fairly simple webpage that would have an Access query as its data source. I could mock up a sample and attach it if you think that might be useful.

Thanks,
    Peter

Provided Answers: 59
    y'don't need a web page, a standard access form with a timer that refreshes the form will do the job. as said before if you have a desktop which can support twin screens, connect the data entry screen to screen1, connect the projector to screen2. on screen two run another instance of access with the leaderboard form.

the only advantage of running a webserver is that yiou could have multiple clients displaying the leadership. but in these modern times the cost of a dumb web client as opposed to say an Access enabled pc is not that different. franted you will need a copy of Access on each client PC running the leaderboard. you only need one access licence if you run two instances on the same PC
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Now a question about Continuous Forms...

Thanks for all the input. It's almost working.

Based on one of the suggestions above, I have created a separate application that links to the data in the main application and displays the data quite nicely in a continuous form.

On Form_Load, I prompt the user for a delay in number of seconds between pages of the continuous form, then multiply by 1000 and set Me.TimerInterval.

On Form_Timer, I execute: SendKeys "{pgdn}"

When the form reaches the bottom, it displays the last line (all alone), then goes back up to the top and starts over, but it starts with the 2nd record on the 2nd time through, then with the 3rd record on the 3rd time through, and so on, no longer displaying the 1st record, then the first 2 records, and so on, although they are still there.

Is there any way I can trap when I get to the bottom of the continuous form? I would like to be able to refresh the query that feeds the continuous form and then go all the way up to the top and start with the 1st record every time.

Thank you,
    Peter

Provided Answers: 8
    what i did
    (did for a school KIDS quiz nite)

used my lappie and over head projecter

Had 2 MS access Program to one database

1 was the input screen on the lappie screen
    2 had and other ms access program display the scores on the over head projecter had a timer in 2 refresh every 20 sec

The KIDS love it they caould see who was winning
    Last edited by myle; 01-03-10 at 15:31.
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Got that far, see latest Q on Continuous Form

Hi MYLE,

Thanks. Got that far myself. Now trying to figure out some of the intricacies of continuous forms, which must be new in Access2003 as I've never dealt with them before.

Thanks,
    Pete

OK, more brainstorming required on Continuous Form

Well, so much for that. This is what I was doing to get my continuous form to auto-pagedown:

On Form_Load, I prompt the user for a delay in number of seconds between pages of the continuous form, then multiply by 1000 and set Me.TimerInterval.

On Form_Timer, I execute: SendKeys "{pgdn}"

The problem is: When I open the main application, the SendKeys "{pgdn}" affects that, causing the system to page through records as I try to enter scores. It even affected Internet Explorer when I came back here to post this message.

I guess by its very nature, SendKeys simply simulates someone pressing the PageDown key on my keyboard, so whatever application is active is the one affected.

Any ideas how to get my Continuous Form to page through automatically? I am new to Continuous Forms.

Thanks,
    Peter

Sorry have not tried it myself, but what would happen if you would "move" through the (continous) form recordset and "refresh " the form? Sorry, this is really a suggestion for your other question in this thread.

Solved my own problem...

Here's how I did it:

Private Sub Form_Load()

'PROMPT FOR Number of Seconds between Page-Downs

Dim xTimer As Integer
    xTimer = InputBox("Enter number of Seconds between Pages - Max 10. Enter ZERO for manual control.", , 5)

If xTimer > 10 Then
    xTimer = 10
    ElseIf xTimer < 0 Then
    xTimer = 0
    End If

Me.TimerInterval = xTimer * 1000

'PROMPT FOR Number of Lines per Page-Down (size of external monitor or projector resolution may vary)

Dim xLines As Integer
    xLines = InputBox("Enter number of Lines per Page.", , 20)

LB_Line = xLines
    LB_Pause = 1

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Timer()

On Error GoTo Err_PgDn
    'SendKeys "{pgdn}"
    For i = 1 To LB_Line
    DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, "QResults_LB4", acNext
    Next i

Exit_PgDn:
    Exit Sub

Err_PgDn: