Unanswered: Capture specific data from a card reader

(Newbe). We hold training classes and one of our biggest problems is collecting student information. I would like to create an Access (2003) database where a student could swipe their credit card and have it record "only" the students name and a time stamp when the card was swiped.

I know that CC's contain the name in the first line read by the card reader and that the name info is contained between ^ 's on credit cards.

Ideally I'd like to have the name and time stamp show up in some sort of live list report on the computer monitor to verify the student info is actually recorded when they swipe but just having the info in a database would be a tremendous help to us.

I have very basic database skills and little programming experience but I understand the concept of code, am very computer literate and can cut and paste anything (grin).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Welcome to the forums

I imagine you'll need some sort of custom string parser function to return the name, and then just use the Now() function to get the current time. Could you supply a sample data that you would get from the card reader? Obviously, it would be annonymized data (John Smith, XXXX XXXX...), but just to give us an idea of what is being sent from the reader to the machine.
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 8
    I setup the same thing but

my card has a barcode on it and the barcode had the student ID number
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Provided Answers: 6
    I set up something for our local university as well. Students have a combined ID card/credit card. As noted, you just need to determine how the card will return data when swiped, and parse the name out.
    Paul

Here is a sample swipe from a visa.
    %A1234567890123456^Smith/John^1211212000000000000000123000000?;123456789012 3456=12112120000012300000?

Best I can tell the first set of numbers and the third set are the credit cards 16 digit number.
    %A1234567890123456 and ;1234567890123456

Not sure what the other numbers are - perhaps routing/ bank or something

Obviously all I need is the info between the carots along with a time stamp when swiped. "Smith, John" "10:42:00" in some form or fashion. If I can capture it with a card reader I can manipulate it.

Somehow, I just need the info to show up on a screen when they swipe and stick the info in a DB.

Thanks for your help everyone.

(other posts) essentially the card swipe is the same as a bar code only we can't issue cards to everyone. It has to be something they already have and something with a mag stripe that has their name already encoded on it.

As I mentioned, I'm a newbe at this but I learn quick with a good lead (this peg goes here). Access level - create a database, data conversion/ import/ export/ search/ sort is about my level. I"m not a programer - don't know the lang but I understand the mechanics a little.

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr View Post
    Welcome to the forums

I imagine you'll need some sort of custom string parser function to return the name, and then just use the Now() function to get the current time. Could you supply a sample data that you would get from the card reader? Obviously, it would be annonymized data (John Smith, XXXX XXXX...), but just to give us an idea of what is being sent from the reader to the machine.

Provided Answers: 6
    To point you in the right direction, look at the InStr() function to find the first ^, the InStrRev() function to find the second. With those, a little math and the Mid() function, you have your name.
    Paul

Provided Answers: 59
    or consider using the split function in preference to the instr
    you then need to examine the relevant items in the array
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton