Unanswered: Amending split database general advice/issues

Hello , I'm about to split my database and send it out for testing with a few selected users.
    Can anyone alert me to any possible issues around me needing/wanting to update/amend objects in either the front end or backend ?
    Real world things/disasters that people have come across?
    As far as I understand it if I need to amend objects and providing I don't replace the backend in a different location and make sure and update references in any affected objects it will all be hunky dory ........
    Presume if I need to work on a table although I can open it from the front end I should always open it up from the backend ?
    Any advice warnings would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Keith

Provided Answers: 59
    if you are going down the split front end / back end you need to think very carefully about who is going to be using the system
    you as developer should have your own playpen (front end and back end) + as many backups as you feel you require or safe with. you cna periodically copy the live data over your development data if your companies policies permit it and or you feel the need for it.

your live data shoudl remain untouched. you go into edit the live data at your peril. ideally deploy changes to the live data (tables) using DDL by issuing a SQL statement.

front ends should ideally be one per person using the App, deployed onto their desktop. theres soem trick code in the code bank from PKStormy to handle this.
    whenever you deploy a new front end
    one take a back up of the existing front end!
    make whatever changes are required to the production/live data
    re link the new front end to the production data. there is some code availble to relink data as required. if you knwo what the path is to the live data then you could use that to do it automatically for you.

consider if you need security, if so read, reread the Security FAQ from microsoft. consider if you need to deploy your app aas an MDE, rather than a MDB

if you do deploy as an MDE make sure you take copious copies of the MDB
    if you do deploy worksgroup secuirty like wise, take copious copies of the workgroups & userid's and the hash code so if the worst happens the workgroup file can be recreated. make certain the workgroup is included int he system backup
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

healdem your spelling kills me (being an English minor). But your advice is great.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy View Post
    healdem your spelling kills me (being an English minor)...
    there are times when I do wonder if I'm showing premature signs of serious medical issues as I think I've proof read it, I think its spelt correctly but on rereading there's shed load of typo's. Its not just here its elsewhere, its in work. the only saving grace is that most stuff I work on these days uses intellisense or variants of that.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Know what you mean. I tend to edit my posts several, several times to finally get the wording right (if I can only get my posts limited to 1000 words or less as you've noticed I tend to write a pages and pages). Funny - I'll often edit the post to just change one word only to find the post has already been read with the incorrect spelling. Still though, it's not the spelling, it's the content and I can usually decipher your great advice.

The meds do help me though.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-26-09 at 03:20.

Thanks for the advice so far , any more from anyone would be welcome.
    As to spellnig mstikes I nevre ahve a prblem myslef.
    Thanks
    Keith

Only that splitting a database works nicely for a development type environment since you can easily make changes to the front-end mdb (on your development copy) and then copy that for the users without touching the data tables.

If you do have to move the backend, then it's a simple matter of re-linking/refreshing the linked tables in the frontend.

I might only suggest you put both the frontend and backend in a folder without spaces or odd characters. This always tends to cause problems in one way or another.

But splitting into a frontend/backend is the best route to go (I personally like a SQL Server backend with the tables linked into an MSAccess frontend). Either way, by splitting the frontend/backend, you don't need to mess around with moving data from mdb to mdb if you need to make changes (or tell everyone they can't use the mdb for X hours/days until you get it fixed.)

Of course, there are many other benefits as well to splitting an mdb.

You may want to look at: Tools->Database Utilities->Linked Table Manager
    If you need to manually add in a table to your frontend: File->Get External Data-> Link Table. (NOT import)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-27-09 at 04:29.