Unanswered: Checking for a null field

I can't seem to get my coding to check for a null field to work correctly.

'If the [PlacementRequestID] field already has a requestID entered, then I want to check why they are changing the record. (I don't want to stop them from making the change but I want them to think about why they are making the change).

If the RequestId field is showing as null and I select a RequestID number from the select list then I do not want it to give me a message.

On testing it is giving me the message whether or not the RequestID field is null.

The requestID is a combo field with the following SQL code :
    SELECT eEmployer3RequestDetails.RequestID, eEmployer2SiteDetails.SiteName, eEmployer3RequestDetails.Category, eEmployer3RequestDetails.ActivityID, eEmployer3RequestDetails.[Activity/ProjDesc] FROM eEmployer2SiteDetails INNER JOIN eEmployer3RequestDetails ON eEmployer2SiteDetails.SiteID = eEmployer3RequestDetails.SiteID ORDER BY eEmployer2SiteDetails.SiteName;

' I have tried all off the follow but they do not do what I want (it gives me the message whether or not the filed is null).
    'If (IsNull(Me![PlacementRequestID].Value) Or Me![PlacementRequestID].Value = "") Then

'If (IsNull(Me![PlacementRequestID]) Or Me![PlacementRequestID].Value = "") Then

'If Me.[PlacementRequestID].Value = Null Or Me![PlacementRequestID].Value = "" Then

I even tried testing for the field to see if it had data in it, but again it gives me the message whether or not the field is null
    'If (Not IsNull(Me.[PlacementRequestID].Value) Or Me.[PlacementRequestID].Value <> "") Then

What am I doing wrong?

Private Sub PlacementRequestID_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_PlacementRequestID_Click

'If the record is a new record then skip all the following checks
    If Me.NewRecord Then
    Me![SkillCategory].Value = Me![PlacementRequestID].Column(2)
    GoTo Exit_PlacementRequestID_Click
    End If

'If the [PlacementRequestID] field already has a requestID entered, then check why they are changing the record

If Me.[PlacementRequestID].Value = Null Or Me![PlacementRequestID].Value = "" Then

'Do nothing

Else

Select Case MsgBox("NOTE: When a Job Seeker's placement details change you must click on the 'ADD NEW PLACEMENT DETAILS' button to create a new placement record." _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    & vbCrLf & "DO NOT CHANGE the current placement Request ID or the Activity Project ID (unless you had made a data entry error)." _
    & vbCrLf & "Changing the Request ID or Activity Project ID of a Job Seeker will result in historical data being lost." _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    & vbCrLf & "Are you sure you want to change the 'Request ID' or the 'Activity Project ID'?" _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    & vbCrLf & "Select NO to cancel or select YES to continue with changing the Request ID." _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    , vbYesNo Or vbCritical Or vbDefaultButton2, "CHANGE OF REQUEST ID OR ACIVITY/PROJECT ID DETAILS")

Case vbNo
    'abort
    DoCmd****nCommand acCmdUndo
    Me![PlacementRequestID].SetFocus

Case vbYes

End Select

End If

Exit_PlacementRequestID_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_PlacementRequestID_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_PlacementRequestID_Click

End Sub

Provided Answers: 1
    try nz(<expression>, "") <> ""

Also, I'd try setting a breakpoint and poking around with the intermediate window to find out what value(s) you're really dealing with. It's much easier to find out what a value is than to guess what the value isn't...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I will sometimes use the LEN command - ie. if len([MyField]) > 0 then....
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks Teddy and pkstormy for replying. I am very grateful.
    Thanks heaps to both of you.

Your replies got me thinking.

I created a unbound combo check field to test out what the value of the field was. And it told me "No Value".

Private Sub PlacementRequestIDCheck1()
    'CheckValue
    Dim frm As Form, ctl As Control
    Dim varResult As Variant

' Return Form object variable pointing to usysbJobSeekerPlacement form.
    Set frm = Forms!usysbJobSeekerPlacement
    ' Return Control object variable pointing to the [PlacementRequestID] field.
    Set ctl = frm![PlacementRequestID]
    ' Choose result based on value of control.
    varResult = IIf(Nz(ctl.Value) = "", _
    "No value", "Value is " & ctl.Value)
    ' Display result.
    MsgBox varResult

End Sub

But still my If... then... statements were still not working.

I then realised that by using the on click event of the [PlacementRequestID] field I was actually changing the value of the field before the If ... then... check occurred.

So I created another unbound field and added the following to the On Enter Event Procedure for the PlacementRequestID.
    What this does is record what the PlacmentRequestID.value is before the on click event.
    Private Sub PlacementRequestID_Enter()
    'Required as part of the PlacementRequestID_Click Sub
    Me.[PlacementRequestIDCheck].Value = Me.[PlacementRequestID].Value
    End Sub

Now I can check what the current value of the [PlacementRequestID] is before the value is changed on the onclick event.

So my code now reads as follows (and it works):

Private Sub PlacementRequestID_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_PlacementRequestID_Click

'If the record is a new record then skip all the following checks
    If Me.NewRecord Then
    GoTo COPY_ACTIVITYID 'Exit_PlacementRequestID_Click
    End If

'[PlacementRequestIDCheck] is an unbound hidden field which holds the value of the the [PlacementRequestID] before the on click event.
    If IsNull(Me.[PlacementRequestIDCheck].Value) Then

'Do Nothing
    Else

Select Case MsgBox("NOTE: When a Job Seeker's placement details change you must click on the 'ADD NEW PLACEMENT DETAILS' button to create a new placement record." _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    & vbCrLf & "DO NOT CHANGE the current placement Request ID or the Activity Project ID (unless you had made a data entry error)." _
    & vbCrLf & "Changing the Request ID or Activity Project ID of a Job Seeker will result in historical data being lost." _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    & vbCrLf & "Are you sure you want to change the 'Request ID' or the 'Activity Project ID'?" _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    & vbCrLf & "Select NO to cancel or select YES to continue with changing the Request ID." _
    & vbCrLf & "" _
    , vbYesNo Or vbCritical Or vbDefaultButton2, "CHANGE OF REQUEST ID OR ACIVITY/PROJECT ID DETAILS")

Case vbNo
    'abort
    DoCmd****nCommand acCmdUndo
    Me![PlacementRequestID].SetFocus

Case vbYes

End Select

End If

Exit_PlacementRequestID_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_PlacementRequestID_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_PlacementRequestID_Click

End Sub

Thanks for posting your solution! It will also help others.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)