Unanswered: Help please I have a empty access database need free data entry sw

Hi all, I have a new access database with 23 fields but no data added. I am trying to find a free pice of software that will allow me to input my database and present me with 23 fields and allow data entry into those fields and save and move on to the next entry.

As you can probably tell I am no programmer and have basic skills so is there anything out there that is very easy to use that will allow me to input data direct into the database from a GUI. Many thanks
    Steve PC or Mac

Provided Answers: 59
    so use the form designer in Access
    select the forms tab
    new form
    select the table
    tinker with the design as much as you need
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    so use the form designer in Access
    select the forms tab
    new form
    select the table
    tinker with the design as much as you need
    I was hoping for a program to use as it wont be me doing it and I dont want my data entry person having to use access, besides I could not find what you said on my version of access Access Office 2007 Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    so you dont' want you users to have a copy of Access.. so get a copy of Access runtime
    if you want to write a program that does the data capture but doesn't use MS Access itself, well theres plenty to choose from ranging from full blown development environemnts like .NET, Delphi and so on, to web scripting sucha as ASP/ASP.NET, PHP et al.
    depends on what skills you have,what tools you have, what budget and so on.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I was hoping for a stand alone application that allows you to import your own empty mdb file with all the fields and their attributes set, and then present the person with a blank page with all the fields ready to add the data then save and move to the next entry. It would be a person paid to just enter the data with no real pc skills other than typing.

This is a one off requirement, I have a Real estate company and we are going to a database driven website and all our current property listings are static I need the operator to copy each property details and paste them into the appropriate fields in our new database. hope this helps

You may also want to see if you could simply get the data from the web-based real estate site. Sometimes these websites will offer you (for a fee though), the data that you can simply import into your database.

If you need to enter info such as Customer Name, Address, real estate data, etc...I'm assuming there might be something web-based that might let you also do this (and would have a form template. - but again, there'll most likely need to be tweaking by someone to the form design.) You may want to search the web to see if there's something offered to do this specializing in real estate.

Otherwise, I think what you're looking for is something web-based that has form templates (again, same as MSAccess), that you would choose from to enter your data. For Real estate, there may even be something already Real estate based to choose from. I've heard rumors that there are some Real estate programs that are web-based (but they're not free.) I think I even heard once of a stand-alone real estate type program you could buy which was geared specifically towards real estate data but the data tables themselves are usually proprietary not allowing you to see the data other than through the reports they have pre-designed (kind of like Quicken/Quickbooks). So modifying it to fit your specific needs would probably not be an option.

With this being the MSAccess forum though, MSAccess will be the choice you'll get in this forum. With MSAccess 2007, there are even some new great 'templates' to set it up even quicker (ie. you select the template and everything is almost completed automated for setting everything up, including the form design.)

The MSAccess form design WIZARD is also a great tool if you want to quickly design your form within a few minutes. You just select the table and MSAccess will design the form for you (of course there'll most likely be some tweaking needed - as with any program.)

You may also want to think about future design changes. Usually you'll need to modify the design in some way or another in the future. MSAccess is a logical choice since it's the easiest program (in my opinion) to work with for making changes. I've used some programs that 'seemed' like they would automatically create the forms but they ended up being more hassle than what they were worth.

If you're looking for something 'free', there may be something out there that's free for real estate type data, but you'll still most likely need to tweak the form design to meet your needs. And sometimes these 'free' programs take you more time learning/troubleshooting/getting it to work correctly. Regardless, if you want to keep your data in-house (ie. not have to download it from a website and be able to make design changes when needed), you won't find an easier and better program than MSAccess.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you don't want your data entry person having to use MSAccess? Once the form is designed, there's really nothing the data entry person would need to do except open the mdb file and simply enter the data via the form.

Also, just as a last note:
    There are some nice products such as Qualtrics and Survey Gizmo (survey type programs via web) which let you quickly create your questions/answers and then users can go to your 'survey' (again, via the web) and simply answer the questions - no form designing needed - you just setup the questions/answers. But these are survey programs and not what meets your requirements in the post for real estate data. After data has been entered, you then download the data from the website for analysis.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-27-09 at 17:56.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 1
    What's wrong with Excel?

If you're only dealing with one table and you're essentially giving users raw access, why not cut the overhead and use a spreadsheet?

Also, speaking from experience on the dev side of the fence, "free" and "real estate tools" generally don't belong in the same sentence. The pricepoints for relatively simple products can be pretty ridiculous. (I'm looking at you Wyldfyre/Top Producer/eNeighborhoods/MarketLinx/etc)

Edit: I missed that it was an online database.

Do not use Access as your database online.

If you bought that from someone, get your money back. That is bad mojo.

There are some budget real-estate-site-in-a-box operations that will give you this functionality if that's where you're going with it.
    Last edited by Teddy; 11-27-09 at 18:36.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***