Unanswered: EBCDIC to UNICODE Mainframes z/OS Problem

Hi All,

Please help with this problem.

I have a table, say TableA which is residing in a TableSpace assigned with Bufferpool of 4K and CCSID is EBCDIC. TableA has a column "Comment"declared as
    Comment VARCHAR(2048) FOR SBCS DATA. This field accepts the text input from the user from the front-end, probably Lotus notes.
    When user is trying to enter GERMAN characters in this field, it is resulting in an overflow abend. We now need to provide the solution to avoid overflow abend.

We though of different ways.
    1. To increase the field size:
    As there is a limitation to the VARCHAR declaration (max 4000 bytes), even though we now increase it to 4000, in future if user enters few more German characters it may again result in an abend. And moreover the table space need to be altered to accommodate more bufferpool size(8k or so).

2. To convert the column from SBCS to DBCS:
    Am not able to find anyway how to convert this. If i just try creating a sample table with VARCHAR(2048) FOR DBCS DATA, am getting DB2 error saying that DBCS is not a valid word.

3. Redefining the table with CCSID as UNICODE:
    Will the UNICODE support double byte characters more efficiently than EBCDIC?
    If so, what would be the impact to the existing data (which is in EBCDIC format) when loaded into the table defined with UNICODE.
    How to do the conversion from EBCDIC to UNICODE?

If you think there is any other better solution with minimum impact to the data, please do suggest.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Neharao View Post
    Hi All,

2. To convert the column from SBCS to DBCS:
    Am not able to find anyway how to convert this. If i just try creating a sample table with VARCHAR(2048) FOR DBCS DATA, am getting DB2 error saying that DBCS is not a valid word.
    You can use DBCLOB type here.

DB2 V9.1 - DB2 SQL - DBCLOB

Regards,
    Sawan Gupta